In Loving Memory

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They used to have (if my memory isn't playing-up) in the early 60's maybe 3 feature films per week - each showing for a couple of nights then the big show at the weekends. They always seemed to have Elvis Presley showing. I was in the Palace the day President Kennedy got shot - the projectionist superimposed a quickly scribbled slide with the news, over the film; the film was Its a Mad, Mad World - starring Phil Silvers (Bilko), Snozzel Durante, Mickey Rooney, Ethel Merman, Spencer Tracy, the great Terry Thomas, etc.

I can't remember when it opened as the Domino nightclub, maybe mid/late 60's, - it was very popular in the beginning but tailed off. I've got a couple of photos of us taken inside - must be 1969ish. I suppose if you wanted the genuine nightclub scene with gambling, etc. then you really needed to get up to the Town - Grey's Club, La Dolcia Vita (S?) and Bob Monkhouse's (can't remember its name) club near the City Walls. There seemed to be loads of clubs to choose from.

I think the family who used to live in the big caravans opposite the Palace/Domino used to own it for years - they were friends of my Dad but I can't recall their names.

Some well-known acts did appear there, although I can't remember if they appeared on the cinema stage or at the Domino. Amen Corner caused a near riot outside when they had a gig there.

They used to have (if my memory isn't playing-up) in the early 60's maybe 3 feature films per week - each showing for a couple of nights then the big show at the weekends. They always seemed to have Elvis Presley showing. I was in the Palace the day President Kennedy got shot - the projectionist superimposed a quickly scribbled slide with the news, over the film; the film was Its a Mad, Mad World - starring Phil Silvers (Bilko), Snozzel Durante, Mickey Rooney, Ethel Merman, Spencer Tracy, the great Terry Thomas, etc.

I can't remember when it opened as the Domino nightclub, maybe mid/late 60's, - it was very popular in the beginning but tailed off. I've got a couple of photos of us taken inside - must be 1969ish. I suppose if you wanted the genuine nightclub scene with gambling, etc. then you really needed to get up to the Town - Grey's Club, La Dolcia Vita (S?) and Bob Monkhouse's (can't remember its name) club near the City Walls. There seemed to be loads of clubs to choose from.

I think the family who used to live in the big caravans opposite the Palace/Domino used to own it for years - they were friends of my Dad but I can't recall their names.

Some well-known acts did appear there, although I can't remember if they appeared on the cinema stage or at the Domino. Amen Corner caused a near riot outside when they had a gig there.

the only partly unfamous person i can remember going there was tetty heeded phil mitchell! what a joke that was!

What was the name of the picture house on Glebe Road opposite the Tankerville Arms? Is the building still there or has it been flattened. We used to go to the Saturday morning shows to see those black & white Ripping Yarn/Great White Hunter type adventures, cowboy serials (Roy Rogers, Rin Tin Tin) and super-hero flics. I can't recall the entrance fee but it might have been an orange. The 'dress circle' was just a boarded-off section of stalls at the back.

Slightly massively off-topic, but it was puzzlement for me a Blyth lad regularing using the bus stop at Geordie Bells bike shop.

I wondered why the stop was called "Blyth Stores".

Dixymick

i think it might be that what is now the window shop used to be a store i might be wrong but it might have been own by some one called mr blyth. am probably miles out but i know there used to be a general store there!

Slightly massively off-topic, but it was puzzlement for me a Blyth lad regularing using the bus stop at Geordie Bells bike shop.

I wondered why the stop was called "Blyth Stores".

Dixymick

Ian Bell, Geordie's son now trades from what used to be the old Blyth coop on Rothseay Tce.

i think it might be that what is now the window shop used to be a store i might be wrong but it might have been own by some one called mr blyth. am probably miles out but i know there used to be a general store there!

Blyth store or Barnes was always where Ian Bell is now.

google earth sucks they dont even update it! its like buying a road map from 1976 utter waste of time!

well it is quite large .. the earth that is and there are only so many satellites

Guest missvic
well it is quite large .. the earth that is and there are only so many satellites

Maybe it's a good thing that in this age of constant nuclear threat that super-powers and their satellites have no interest in Bedlington whatsoever... Monsta's shelter didn't look to sturdy to me

aye thats what they tell you! there's a satelite passing overhead every 15 minutes and one that can take pics every 30 minutes! and that satelite can take thousands of pictures a day! so there no excuse for no updating it!

But there must have been times when Bedlington was at the forefront of people's interest.

King John is reckoned to have stayed in the town at least 5 times. ( Business with Scotland etc)

And how about...

" In 1379 an occurrence took place which shows that the state of society in Bedlington was at that period in an extremely disorganised condition.

The populace pulled down the rectory house and had plundered and carried away the tythe corn, etc, stored up by the priest, had carried away certain trees and washed their clothes in the fish pond, to the detriment of the fish"

Author. John Wallace 1869.

And 10 Dutchmen invaded Bedlington in 1635 (unsuccessfully)

Dixymick

Quote...

In our account of Blyth we noticed the Dutch ship of war following into the harbour and capturing a Dunkirk privateer and a portion of the crews of both ships proceeding as far as Bedlington, where 10 of each party were apprehended.

Now Mr Carnaby's letter to the bishop (of Durham) asking advice what to do with his prisoners.

"" Bedlington 16th August 1635.

Whereas there has been a Dutch man-of-war with 90 musketees on board, which has driven a Dunkirk privateer with 30 men on board him, into the harbour of Blyth, they did pursue him so hard that the crew were forced their ship and betake themselves to flight.

Ten of the privateers sought shelter in BEDLINGTON whereupon notice was given to me and I have taken measures to detain both them and ten of the Dutchmen who pursued them, and have them confined in this town until your lordship's pleasure is known.

(The privateer had sunk over 80 Dutch fishing vessels)

cont..

""Besides it is much to be feared that the Dutchmen may come on shore with their land soldiers and take away their men by force""

Author's note.. It is probable that the bishop returned by the bearer of the letter, verbal instructions to Mr Carnaby, hence OUR INABILITY to trace the denouement of this affair.

----------------------------------------

Dixymick

Quote...

In our account of Blyth we noticed the Dutch ship of war following into the harbour and capturing a Dunkirk privateer and a portion of the crews of both ships proceeding as far as Bedlington, where 10 of each party were apprehended.

Now Mr Carnaby's letter to the bishop (of Durham) asking advice what to do with his prisoners.

"" Bedlington 16th August 1635.

Whereas there has been a Dutch man-of-war with 90 musketees on board, which has driven a Dunkirk privateer with 30 men on board him, into the harbour of Blyth, they did pursue him so hard that the crew were forced their ship and betake themselves to flight.

Ten of the privateers sought shelter in BEDLINGTON whereupon notice was given to me and I have taken measures to detain both them and ten of the Dutchmen who pursued them, and have them confined in this town until your lordship's pleasure is known.

(The privateer had sunk over 80 Dutch fishing vessels)

cont..

""Besides it is much to be feared that the Dutchmen may come on shore with their land soldiers and take away their men by force""

Author's note.. It is probable that the bishop returned by the bearer of the letter, verbal instructions to Mr Carnaby, hence OUR INABILITY to trace the denouement of this affair.

----------------------------------------

Dixymick

Nice story Dixymick - where you get the info from?

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now