Is The Universe A Fractal?

A recent article in New Scientist tells of a small number of cosmologists who believe in the theory that the universe is a fractal (i.e it's made of a number of number of bits which is each a smaller copy of the whole - like a fern leaf or a broccoli). This can be proven to a certain size (200million light years or so) but over this size things get a bit big and unobservable.

This kinda goes againsn't Einstein's craic as he believes in a more homogeneous dispersion theory (that everything is more or less evenly spread across the place). Einstein's theory has some kinda knock-on effect with space-time and gravity and the like, allowing us to make universal assumptions using the general theory of relativity.

This puts into question a canny bit about the universe and how things fit into it. It's all very exciting!

I am of the belief that perhaps things are a bit fractal; it's a repeating pattern in nature and it has been shown to happen in space to a certain extent. Also that although he was some cool dude, even Einstein couldn't know everything, if only because science wasn’t as developed then. And I like the thought of different laws of physics to our own.

Anyway... I was just reading about it and thought I would ask you all your opinions? It effects us all. I'm bored with favourite pets and pretend Bedlingtonites now...

A recent article in New Scientist tells of a small number of cosmologists who believe in the theory that the universe is a fractal (i.e it's made of a number of number of bits which is each a smaller copy of the whole - like a fern leaf or a broccoli). This can be proven to a certain size (200million light years or so) but over this size things get a bit big and unobservable.

This kinda goes againsn't Einstein's craic as he believes in a more homogeneous dispersion theory (that everything is more or less evenly spread across the place). Einstein's theory has some kinda knock-on effect with space-time and gravity and the like, allowing us to make universal assumptions using the general theory of relativity.

This puts into question a canny bit about the universe and how things fit into it. It's all very exciting!

I am of the belief that perhaps things are a bit fractal; it's a repeating pattern in nature and it has been shown to happen in space to a certain extent. Also that although he was some cool dude, even Einstein couldn't know everything, if only because science wasn’t as developed then. And I like the thought of different laws of physics to our own.

Anyway... I was just reading about it and thought I would ask you all your opinions? It effects us all. I'm bored with favourite pets and pretend Bedlingtonites now...

Typical.......fractal theory......like way back when the nomad was in full swing....first beer & you have a visitor kipping on the floor for 4 nights :D

By now everyone with an interest in science or computers has stared in wonder at pictorial representations of the amazing fractal called the Mandelbrot set. If you are one of the few remaining holdouts, then do yourself a favor and explore the full color illustrations of this infinite mathematical labyrinth (one readily available source is James Gleick's popular book Chaos).

These images, depicting seemingly endless layers of complexity and geometric inventiveness, strike deep intellectual and emotional chords. A large part of the magic is due to the fact that as you plunge deeper into the Mandelbrot set you encounter ever-more-tiny copies of itself within the riot of detail. This "worlds within worlds" aspect, or self-similarity, calls to mind the famous poem of William Blake:

"To see a World in a Grain of Sand...

And a Heaven in a Wild Flower

Hold Infinity in the Palm of your hand

And Eternity in an hour."

By now everyone with an interest in science or computers has stared in wonder at pictorial representations of the amazing fractal called the Mandelbrot set. If you are one of the few remaining holdouts, then do yourself a favor and explore the full color illustrations of this infinite mathematical labyrinth (one readily available source is James Gleick's popular book Chaos).

These images, depicting seemingly endless layers of complexity and geometric inventiveness, strike deep intellectual and emotional chords. A large part of the magic is due to the fact that as you plunge deeper into the Mandelbrot set you encounter ever-more-tiny copies of itself within the riot of detail. This "worlds within worlds" aspect, or self-similarity, calls to mind the famous poem of William Blake:

"To see a World in a Grain of Sand...

And a Heaven in a Wild Flower

Hold Infinity in the Palm of your hand

And Eternity in an hour."

It's paper talk

It's a game of 2 halfs

Game on

He's on fire

The magic of the cup

No body feels it more than the players

The fact we were not good enough

One or two injuries hasn't helped