One-Hour Lunch Break

keith lockey

Well that's it boys, you've made my mind up, I'm off to Wether's to see if they can knock me up a sandwich made from handcrafted artisan wholemeal brown bread. With a pumpkin seed topping and a salmon paste filling, but think I'll give the lugworms a miss this time.

Wonder if they've got any Wonderloaf? Maybe that's pushing the boat out a bit.

No one has mentioned 'the Stottie'

Ham and pease pud or cheese savoury.

Remember to wave at the camera on the way in and the way out.

The Artisan bread would have to be from

'The Running Fox Bakery at Felton.

These days the buzz words are

1)'Sour Dough'

or in the old days using up the milk that had gone off.

2) GI bread 'Glycemic index' Basically chuck in anything 'nutty'

My bet is that those two can command lots of jokes.

No, no, no, no, no Maggie! You can't compare sour milk to sour dough. Wrong type of bacteria. However, the sugars in milk - sour or otherwise are excellent in breadmaking. I make 95% of all the bread eaten in this house and 95% of that is made with sour dough. It makes wonderful bread. It's only the getting started that takes time - about 4 Days to make the starter/culture. After that it's dead easy, There's nothing to compare with thrashing the hell out of a bread dough on a Cold, wet day while the wind's whistling around the house and the rain's beating against the windows - except maybe eating the first slice while it's still warm and dripping with butter! If you'd like to know how to make an easy starter let me know and I'll put a recipe out on the site. It really is good fun - amost on a par with linguistics except that you don't get to travel so much!

Yes yes yes you cannot waste food.

I do make bread and I do use milk but not a lot of it is off.

However I have been known too and it tastes fine.

Pure culture au natural.

The Grandkids have been known to refuse toast if it's not homemade and the latest here is dough balls with garlic butter.

Then there is the pizza

Should have been a bit clearer, Maggie. When I said you can't compare sour milk to sour dough I didn't mean that bread could not be made using sour milk. I was referring to the taste of the bread and the fun of making your own sour dough, feeding it, keeping it alive, Dividing it, sharing it with your friends and family. My oldest starter is now in its 16th year!! Get the grandbairns to make one. They'll love it. It has a Life of it's own.

Speaking of sour dough - does anybody rememeber the "friendship cakes" that were doing the rounds in the late 60s early seventies? They were based on a sour dough. Every week you divided your dough, fed it, made 3 cakes and gave 2 away together with a starter dough and instructions on how to keep it alive. Does anybody happen to have a recipe for the cakes? There were several recipes. My favourite had chopped, tinned pineapple and glace cherries in it, but that's about all I can rememeber.

You have more patience than me Canny Lass..

Bread making now there is a job I enjoy.

Cannot see the point of a bread maker when you just throw the lot in and bish bash bosh..

There must be a Geordie way of saying that maybe ' it's just beat the hell out of the mix'.

Yesterday I got a book of Geordie One Liners at the Sage.

My favourite so far is 'Just shah nah. Then negotiate '

The thing should have been

Just syah nah then negotiate.

Sorry

Another canny saying or three

Yee hev got more issues than the Chronicle.

Yee are multi- talented, so yee are.

Yee can taak an P--- me off at the same time.

Howay man, you've got a face leik a cuddy in the huff.

The thing should have been

Just syah nah then negotiate.

Sorry

Another canny saying or three

Yee hev got more issues than the Chronicle.

Yee are multi- talented, so yee are.

Yee can taak an P--- me off at the same time.

Howay man, you've got a face leik a cuddy in the huff.

Maggie - are you having pit pony stotties for lunch or did you mean to post this somewhere else?

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now