The Advert Box on the Right

mercuryg

mmm, that advert box on the right, the one that's there on the home page, I wasn't aware it was a platform for promoting the moderator's political preferences. In the name of fair play, can we have adverts for the labour party, conservatives, lib dems, greens, and whoever else might be out there? Political discussion on these boards I am wholeheartedly in favour of; 3G promoting UKIP in the advertising space I am not.....unless, of course, they paid for it

We've been promoting the FREE advertising to local organisations for ages. The method of getting your ad. up is fully documented.

Politically the facility is neutral, and open to any party, and any candidate in any election. We've run political ads before - this is nothing new.

Basically, what you are saying is that because party a, b and c don't have the enterprise to take advantage then party d should be barred.  I think Mr Cameron would like your thinking.

For the avoidance of doubt we are still waiting for submissions for the GE.  All ads will get equal prominence in the queue.  If there is any doubt about this then I'm happy to post the raw figures at intervals.

What I'm asking, Threegee, is whether UKIP approached the sit and asked to place an advert, or whether it was put up by a moderator at their decision?

I talk to local Ukip officials regularly, and make no secret of the fact. They've asked for help, and I've given freely when I've had time, and yes, it has included web site advertising. My smartphone has dozens of recent Ukip emails. Just this morning I got two personal emails from Nige to go to Thurrock and have a beer with him (and I'm almost sure he didn't send this to anyone else ;) )!

Seriously, I will dispassionately talk to any local politicos who have the basic enterprise to contact me - and even spend time helping them prepare their artwork, but I can't write the actual copy for them.  If anyone is "empty chaired" here it will be entirely their choice, and not for want of my willing participation.

I don't hold out much hope of a productive dialogue with the old parties, because experience says they won't engage in any public dialogue in other than strictly controlled circumstances.  But, maybe social media is breaking down their phobias - I simply don't know!

I'd like you to consider the fact that this site may actually be less politically biased than any of the MSM. The moderators have an entirely free hand but are advised to moderate with the lightest of touches - really just to keep things civilised and with legal limits.  In distant past my own posts have been moderated, but I've learned to behave. :)

Not at the moment Maggie, but I am following this this little bit of "political manoeuvring" which will likely make a good film/play at some future date:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ukip/11396884/Nigel-Farage-Rotherham-police-are-wilfully-obstructive.html#disqus_thread

Seems like even the police have a political agenda these days - well... the South Yorkshire ones anyway.  From the comments on the Torygraph's pages (the ones they are bold enough to actually permit comments on) it's hard to believe that much of the readership buys into the editorial.  Maybe someone should start a Rotherham thread here, because none of the mainstream media are shedding much light on what's really going on?

Thanks for the clarification 3g. As for writing their copy, pass on my details. That advert is a marketing disaster in so many ways.

Marketing is for people with Oxford PPEs, Axelrod, trade union barons, and Lynton Crosby.  Ukip isn't only about changing other party policy, it's about rewriting the PPE course too! http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/02/05/tories-ukip-facebook-likes_n_6619870.html

Personally, I resent that £100 FB overspend, but I will probably get around to offsetting it. :)

"Marketing is for people with Oxford PPEs, Axelrod, trade union barons, and Lynton Crosby."

Marketing is about getting your point across, about engaging people's attention, about telling them what you are going to do/provide that they want and need. This advert does nothing of the sort. Your average man on the street, who they need to capture to achieve their aims, who is stuck in his ways, will read that, scoff, and say 'IF everyone who is thinking of voting UKIP - yeah, big IF, cos they won't' and fundamentally, he's right. Why put out an advert that expresses serious doubts in it's very first line? It defeats the aim; it's basic attract-the-punters stuff, you simply don't instil doubts in the minds of those who are yet to be convinced. It's too around-the-houses, too uncertain. I could have done it far better, probably at a fraction of the cost. Having said that, it's unfair to attack UKIP only, as political parties a notoriously poor at projecting the right image; too much time spent telling us what the others are doing wrong, rather than what they are going to do right, and as the latter is something I will readily credit UKIP with (whether I believe their policies will work/are to be carried out or not) I'm surprised at the very nature of the advert displayed. By the way, they will, in fact, probably get my vote, simply because I believe it's a time for change.

Marketing is about getting your point across, about engaging people's attention, about telling them what you are going to do/provide that they want and need. This advert does nothing of the sort. 

It was entirely successful engaging your attention merc, the discussion it engaged also seems to have cemented your decision to vote UKIP. Just saying ;)

Personally I'd be much more inclined to vote for a party where the message comes direct and not filtered by legal and marketing departments (if I agree with the message of course)

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now