The Non-Dom Debate [Topic Split]

threegee

A significant proportion of the Hatton Garden diamond and bullion trade is wholesale, yep, there are a few retail oultets, but the bulk of the trade is inter-merchant barter and so doen't attract VAT ... 'cos it's 'off the books'.  How does Sym know this?  Well, in a past life I used to make silver & gold jewellery (all above board as I have a registered Hallmark so could sell the swag) and bought my ingots/sheets/wires/beads from Johnson Matthey's in The Garden.  Much of the retail trade in The Garden mainly services foreign visitors who on production of their passports are able to waive any VAT payments.

Most folks in Blighty purchase their 'tom' from the 'High St' jewellery chains or the exclusive Bond St stores and will have to pay VAT;  just the same as if they were buying jeans, handbags, sanitary towels or bumwipes.

Of course there's a mob of undeserving poor but I'd define these as those who cynically abuse the system by using fraud ... I'm on record here on how to deal with them.  There's much larger group of the deserving poor ... those working hard in attempting to support their families whilst on shit contracts and having to get a bump-up from the SS;   I'd also include the gimps as needing proper support.  Many politicos on the Right would shaft these vulnerable folks just to garner votes from elsewhere.  They, and their supporters should be ashamed of themselves!!!

Edited by Symptoms

Once again illustrating that the Labour Party and hypocrisy walk hand in hand!  It's the post-democratic elitist what the plebs don't know about won't hurt them.

Ed Miliband's most senior adviser pays no tax on his reported £300,000 earnings in Britain, The Telegraph has learned.

David Axelrod, a former adviser to Barack Obama, admitted that he is not resident for tax purposes in the UK.

Labour confirmed it pays Mr Axelrod in dollars through his consultancy and that he "lives in the US, works in the US and pays taxes in the US".  While it is unclear how much tax Mr Axelrod will pay in the US, the rates of tax for companies are often significantly lower than for individuals.

The admission comes after Ed Miliband put a crackdown foreigners who pay lower rates of tax at the heart of his election manifesto.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/11540373/Ed-Milibands-US-adviser-David-Axelrod-pays-no-tax-in-Britain.html  Amusingly contains:

One Labour MP said: "I don't understand what we are getting for the £300,000, I think it is an obscene amount, I don't think he brings anything to the party. I have heard nothing from him and I don't want to. He's totally invisible."

In fact a tiny rerun of Labour's PFI, and indicative of how our tax money is likely to be spent - again!

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now