European Market...champion!

Pete,

The price of bread in France is regulated by the Gov! (Shades of let them eat cake!) The price for a normal baggette is around 40p, the parrot dropping ones obviousely dearer. Because of what is used in the making (or not used!) it cannot be kept so there is a high wastage which is in the price.

So how much were they on sale for in Bedders and were they the basic type? (Probably not it wouldn't be worth the effort!)

The councillor showing his grasp of local Gov funding by wanting all the shops closed, the shops actually pay a dispropotionate amount of rates which comes back to the district as central Gov funding and is based on the amount of shops and trade premisis in the district, is now no longer a councillor and I believe is drinking his pints with the Almighty!

Malcolm,

I can understand the high wastage but what puzzels me is, how can that bread be fresh when it arrives in England considering that it had to be loaded onto vans sailed across the sea, traveled from the south of England, probably arived in Bedlington the day before or the night before the market.

:D

ASDAs food is cheap horrible tasting !*!@# ... their meat is tough as F-** like eating boots .... ASDA is WalMart ( the evil oppressive face of mass globalisation from the US ).. Ive heard to work there youve got to sing the ASDA happy song at the end of the interview before they take you on... and tap your !*!@# like a !*!@#

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

MSN Conversation with sister:

ME says:

you missed the european market at top end on thursday by the way

SIS says:

did i miss much?

ME says:

Aye, 6 stalls... 2 of which were local. Bread at £4 a loaf and sausages at £7 each.

SIS says:

hahahaha

MSN Conversation with sister:

ME says:

you missed the european market at top end on thursday by the way

SIS says:

did i miss much?

ME says:

Aye, 6 stalls... 2 of which were local. Bread at £4 a loaf and sausages at £7 each.

SIS says:

hahahaha

so if you wanted a sausage sandwich it would cost you £18 :blink: think i'll go to somerfield might be kidney selling expensive! but £7 for a sausage hahahahaha am ganning mad

Hahaha, i never thought of it that way... well, if theres people willing to pay - i think i might try it myself.

You can get a bag of saugages from Aldi for just under £2, might not tast very nice but add a bit of tomatoe sauce and there great.

Buy British if you can find any.

I can understand the high wastage but what puzzels me is, how can that bread be fresh when it arrives in England considering that it had to be loaded onto vans sailed across the sea, traveled from the south of England, probably arived in Bedlington the day before or the night before the market.

It would be impossible to make a French bagguete in France and drive it back to sell in Bedlington, they are almost unedible if you buy in the mornings and try to eat them that same evening! Every French boulangerie sells sacks of day old bread for 1 euro for chickens, ducks etc. And by the way I made a mistake with the price it should have been 40 cents, about 25p. So the only conculsion I can draw is that what was being sold was "speciality" foodstuffs which not only last longer but also command a high price.

It is very noticable that the continentals, French Germans etc, buy up to a quality whereas the UK food industry is driven by price so that expensive sausage most poeple are complaining about would probably be a staple in a continental shopping trolly!

Maybe Bedlington was the wrong venue for a scheme such as this but at least people got a choice and a chance to sample different wares? The French markets I have been to are loaded with shellfish and fish off the boats that morning, vegetables pulled that morning, and fruit picked that day as well so there is no comparsion with the multi nationals where most of the foodstuffs have been irradiated and travelled half way around the world! Until people realise you really do get what you pay for Beldington will continue with a car boot sale instead of a local farmers market!

It would be impossible to make a French bagguete in France and drive it back to sell in Bedlington, they are almost unedible if you buy in the mornings and try to eat them that same evening! Every French boulangerie sells sacks of day old bread for 1 euro for chickens, ducks etc. And by the way I made a mistake with the price it should have been 40 cents, about 25p. So the only conculsion I can draw is that what was being sold was "speciality" foodstuffs which not only last longer but also command a high price.

It is very noticable that the continentals, French Germans etc, buy up to a quality whereas the UK food industry is driven by price so that expensive sausage most poeple are complaining about would probably be a staple in a continental shopping trolly!

Maybe Bedlington was the wrong venue for a scheme such as this but at least people got a choice and a chance to sample different wares? The French markets I have been to are loaded with shellfish and fish off the boats that morning, vegetables pulled that morning, and fruit picked that day as well so there is no comparsion with the multi nationals where most of the foodstuffs have been irradiated and travelled half way around the world! Until people realise you really do get what you pay for Beldington will continue with a car boot sale instead of a local farmers market!

I think theres a big difference between a farmers market and the French market. With a Farmers market you are more or less garunteed that the produce is fresh and its local produce.

The French market as you have said cannot give fresh products because of the traveling time, so I do not see any reason why Bedlington can not have a farmers market. They are more expensive than the super markets but you are getting quality products and there cheaper that the French markets.

I have bought from the Farmers markets myself and would highly recomend them.

Do you have a Farmers market in Bedlington? Not living there now so I dont know whats there or not.

The European market that came to Bedlington brought the following things:

Bread / Pastry

Sausages

Sweets

Olives

Hand bags (Plastic ones).

I heard an old woman shout "Eeeeee! Yi need a cheque book to buy from here".

It wasn't a French market it was a European market by the way...

When i went to France there were loads of markets on, the fruit was twice the size and a quarter of the price.

Pete, we don't have a farmers market in Bedlington...

The European market that came to Bedlington brought the following things:

Bread / Pastry

Sausages

Sweets

Olives

Hand bags (Plastic ones).

I heard an old woman shout "Eeeeee! Yi need a cheque book to buy from here".

It wasn't a French market it was a European market by the way...

When i went to France there were loads of markets on, the fruit was twice the size and a quarter of the price.

Pete, we don't have a farmers market in Bedlington...

Pity because there well worth it

A farmers market is a good idea,plenty fresh veg,or even better,grow your own,nowt better than home grown veg on your Sunday dinner and much better for you than eating chemical laden veg from the supermarket..

One thing you can't get where I live is a good leek, you can buy them in the super markets but there not as good as home grown in Bedlington.
Last time i had a good leak in bedlington was on a saturday night, and i got a free room for the privilidge! Like everything tho, some police officers have a sence of humour, some dont....