Pond Life

Sitting in the sunshine, sipping my Pimms, and watching the wee beasties flitting around the water, I got to thinking that my garden pond was very much like this forum ....

Mr threegee, the pond's custodian, had created a wonderful environment for all forms of wildlife to thrive and co-exist. There is the wise old owl (lets call him Joe) perched on an overhanging Maple bough wistfully surveying all below and dreaming of what the pond used to be like when he was a chick. Then there's the two graceful Grey Herons (perhaps we could call them Colonel and Symptoms) watching with beady-eye and razor-sharp beaks, water rippling arounds their feet, poised to feast on morsels drifting up from the dark depths below. A diverse range of other attractive creatures also share this place (missvic, Mrs Pencilneck and many others) contributing to the rich mix that makes this a beautiful spot to visit.

There is, however, a dark side to this idyll; the menace that slithers through the primordial soup at the lowest reaches of this place. Barely formed creatures, monster-like in appearance, drag their wizened bodies through the slime, spewing foul odours and disgusting bile from their mouth parts. Much to their confusion, the graceful Herons occasionally see signs of ambition flickering within these the bitter and twisted forms. Could it be that a graceful Dragonfly will emerge and soar majestically on the wing, impressing all those who witness the start of a meaningful life of contribution and wisdom around the pond. The Herons hope so! Danger lurks however ... the metamorphosis into this dapperly uniformed creature could fail, it could mutate into a belligerent beast who readily attacks the occasional, brightly coloured migrants who visit the pond for respite. The horrors visited on the local creatures by these malevolent beasts fade when compared to what awaits the innocent creatures standing in the way of the September migration through Poland and beyond.

Sitting in the sunshine, sipping my Pimms, and watching the wee beasties flitting around the water, I got to thinking that my garden pond was very much like this forum ....

Mr threegee, the pond's custodian, had created a wonderful environment for all forms of wildlife to thrive and co-exist. There is the wise old owl (lets call him Joe) perched on an overhanging Maple bough wistfully surveying all below and dreaming of what the pond used to be like when he was a chick. Then there's the two graceful Grey Herons (perhaps we could call them Colonel and Symptoms) watching with beady-eye and razor-sharp beaks, water rippling arounds their feet, poised to feast on morsels drifting up from the dark depths below. A diverse range of other attractive creatures also share this place (missvic, Mrs Pencilneck and many others) contributing to the rich mix that makes this a beautiful spot to visit.

There is, however, a dark side to this idyll; the menace that slithers through the primordial soup at the lowest reaches of this place. Barely formed creatures, monster-like in appearance, drag their wizened bodies through the slime, spewing foul odours and disgusting bile from their mouth parts. Much to their confusion, the graceful Herons occasionally see signs of ambition flickering within these the bitter and twisted forms. Could it be that a graceful Dragonfly will emerge and soar majestically on the wing, impressing all those who witness the start of a meaningful life of contribution and wisdom around the pond. The Herons hope so! Danger lurks however ... the metamorphosis into this dapperly uniformed creature could fail, it could mutate into a belligerent beast who readily attacks the occasional, brightly coloured migrants who visit the pond for respite. The horrors visited on the local creatures by these malevolent beasts fade when compared to what awaits the innocent creatures standing in the way of the September migration through Poland and beyond.

Where do I get a mention in all this then? I'm feeling a bit left out...

:(

i take this is me your talking about?

what drugs are you taking to come out with such weird conceptions? yeah your seriously screwed pal I'd go see a doctor if i were you! :blink: :blink:

what you only got one eye? :lol::blink:

So bedlingtons a pond and you eat frogs ... right o

Miss Vic, Ms Pencilneck .......

I am slightly huffed! :huh:

A thousand apologies Ms Hair for not mentioning you ... how could I have missed you out? Your presence around the pond dazzles us all, your magnificent plumes and sweet, sweet call are a joy to behold.

So bedlingtons a pond and you eat frogs ... right o

Dave, Dave, Dave ... the tract was meant to be a metaphor (clumsy, maybe!) to explain how all healthy communities contain a diverse mixture of views and beliefs (however repellent some of those may be) - it was not to be taken literally.

i "lucy in the sky with diamonds" what symptoms is on! :lol:

Good food, fine ale, plenty of exercise, good books, all keep mind and body sharp for the battles against the Forces of Darkness. I also find a little Mandrax mixed with my pint sends me to the Land of Insight where I see strange creatures, sitting gross and mal-formed in a gloomy cave, bathed in the flickering glow of monitors. These strange creatures only link to reality is seen through these blinking glass eyes; the cave is devoid of any weighty tomes which, if read, might lead to a greater appreciation of the world outside. There is no Marx, Flaubert, Dickens, Wells, Zola, Solzhenitsyn, Tolkien, Balzac, Yeates, Shelley, Keats or half-a-hundred others; all we have are piles of sticky magazine pages.

Dave, Dave, Dave ... the tract was meant to be a metaphor (clumsy, maybe!) to explain how all healthy communities contain a diverse mixture of views and beliefs (however repellent some of those may be) - it was not to be taken literally.

Well thats a relief ...

you got a stutter or something?