Local Elections

Guest missvic

Guest missvic

My voting card has gone awol, and although I think it could be in me kitchen drawer it may take at least 3 minutes to locate it and i'm not too sure it's worth the hassle. I have become the apathetic political sloth I have always despised, and I did me degree in politics. How is the rest of the town supposed to feel anything but indifference?

The age old put a monkey up for Labour and it will still get elected anecdote still seems to prevail. And even should a different monkey be voted in this time, does anyne really think voting is going to make a difference out here in the wilds of Bedlington?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be interesting to know who there is to vote for, and why we should?

The Labour leader of WDC promised me he'd come on here and answer questions over a year ago! :mellow:

Maybe we can persuade one of the other parties to make a similar promise, and keep it?

The Labour leader of WDC promised me he'd come on here and answer questions over a year ago! :mellow:

Maybe we can persuade one of the other parties to make a similar promise, and keep it?

Thats the reason i am not voting. i dont even know who is up for it, never mind what their promising!

Guest missvic

Over the years I have been in contact with local political figures and have found them to be very helpful indeed: Dennis Murphy (Wansbeck Labour MP) seems to be a very nice chap who helped me out a few years back with some university administration issues, doing so with post haste and getting the issue clarified much quicker than I could have ever done... I bumped into him a few weeks back and he remebered the issue and asked about it... I liked that, he took interest!

I also had cause to contact my local Lib Dem councillor (Miriam Coatsworth) about an issue with my bins (when I recycled more than my green bin full I was told it couldn't be taken away and would have to be put in with the non-recycled rubbish) when WDC would not rectify it and she was able to bring it up at the evening's meeting and arrange for a larger bin within 24 hours.

Both of these were extremley positive experiences, however the cynic inside me fears that either party would not represent me fairly if elected. Perhaps it's best not to vote and feel let down by my actions?

I did see interesting ideas from this 'Fresh' party, and maybe would have given them my vote in principle, however I saw them driving round the front street yesterday with their campaign van and thought whatever inaudible rhetoric they were shouting, it was just a bit too loud... Gosh! I must be getting old!

n.b... no mention of the Tories, as really they're not an option... are they?

The people who don't vote haven't got the right to moan about the state that Bedlington is in then, have they?

Thats what an old tutor told me anyway...

As for me, my voting card came through the door when everyone else's did - but thats it. I haven't had any leaflets or anything... so to be honest, I don't know who to vote for.

Guest missvic
The people who don't vote haven't got the right to moan about the state that Bedlington is in then, have they?

Thats what an old tutor told me anyway...

As for me, my voting card came through the door when everyone else's did - but thats it. I haven't had any leaflets or anything... so to be honest, I don't know who to vote for.

I got some leaflets from the Lib Dems through today, and some Labour ones last week. Also there was a Labour dude at the door the other night who seemed more interested in commenting on my 'bonny' attire than canvassing for votes... until I shut the door on him, patronising misogynistic swine...

n.b... no mention of the Tories, as really they're not an option... are they?

No, they're not! They're a party of the middle class South East, and long gave up on diehard Labour areas like Wansbeck as a total waste of effort and logic.

That's precisely why thinking people in Bedlington have never had any proper representation.

As noted above, the local Labour faces are surprisingly decent (and frank) people when you get to know them. That's their strength, and why they get elected again and again. But, the reality is that, as career politicians, they long-since sold out to a severely bent system.

The real tragedy is that (in private, at least) they are the first to admit that the system is severely bent!

is the BNP running if so they got my vote!!!

One thing for sure I am not voting for the three stoogies, Labour, Conservative and wishy washy Lib dem's. I have voted, BNP and for a party I have never heard of but their slogan was English first and thats good enough for me.

"During the war..."

"there was this nationalist politician called Adolf Hitler, who stirred up the nation of Germany to war by pandering to the people's ignorance and fear after the misery of the Great Depression. He then tried to take over Europe whilst killing many innocent people along the way"

Though if you listen to your granny, apparently the war was a great laugh...

"there was this nationalist politician called Adolf Hitler, who stirred up the nation of Germany to war by pandering to the people's ignorance and fear after the misery of the Great Depression. He then tried to take over Europe whilst killing many innocent people along the way"

Though if you listen to your granny, apperently the war was a great laugh...

Make the supper woman......chop, chop :rolleyes:

Getting back to topic, what was this Fresh party about?

When I looked at the results Malcolm that thought crossed my mind, who are the Fresh party? I have not herd of them in our local elections where I live, are they just in Bedlington/Northumberland?

http://www.freshwansbeck.com/

They seem to have similar complaints as many on this forum, albeit with a slight Ashington bias. Lack of facilities, things for the kids to and a surfeit of dog poo figure highly on both agendas.

Could be the begining of something new, but after checking the link I am still not sure what they stand for apart from as you say Ashington.

http://www.freshwansbeck.com/

They seem to have similar complaints as many on this forum, albeit with a slight Ashington bias. Lack of facilities, things for the kids to and a surfeit of dog poo figure highly on both agendas.

Thanks for the link ck, after looking through their pages it does seem they are saying the same sort of things as the other parties, maybe they thought they have to? I would have thought a more aggressive radicle manifesto might have produced better results as with only 3 councillors they are by and large impotent. Full marks for trying though!

With all the changes to the local gov scene coming soon it may be the begginings of more small parties standing on local issues. Roll on the BIP, (not BNP Pete!) Bedlington Independence Party!