Brownies/ Scouts Etc

funny you should mention it, but i did some digging myself, and it seams the only reason their aint a scout/brownie/rainbow group in bedlington is because no-one is willing to run it !

any offers?

CK has the necessary background ;)

What, has old Willie Hall's troupe from Ridley Terrace gone? What about Humford Hollow camping ground?

The camping ground is still there, Wheres ridley terrace? i know there was a scout group opposite west end first school, but thats since been demolished and built on. was to the right of the cut to bishops meadow...

The camping ground is still there, Wheres ridley terrace? i know there was a scout group opposite west end first school, but thats since been demolished and built on. was to the right of the cut to bishops meadow...

Memory playing up - Ridge, not Ridley, Terrace. Yes, it was right next to the cut into Bishops Meadow & opposite the Primary School (which I went to in the early 60's). So the Scouts place has been knocked down - I remember it as being a purpose-built venue, complete with a hall (plus stage - for gang shows) and gym stuff - wall-bars, ropes and rings, vaulting horses, etc. There was a tuck shop, office, training rooms, workshops where handcarts were made and where the Scouts could chop-up old pit-props into sticks. The stick-laden carts would be pulled by the Scouts around Bedlington so that the firewood could be sold door-to-door. Yes, I was one of the Scouts.

Willie Hall was the Scout Master - he lived in a detached house on Hartford Road (opposite South Riggs) - I heard a rumour (I met, by chance in the 80's, a Bedlington lad on the London Underground who told me) that there was a bit of scandal but I can't remember any details.

Memory playing up - Ridge, not Ridley, Terrace. Yes, it was right next to the cut into Bishops Meadow & opposite the Primary School (which I went to in the early 60's). So the Scouts place has been knocked down - I remember it as being a purpose-built venue, complete with a hall (plus stage - for gang shows) and gym stuff - wall-bars, ropes and rings, vaulting horses, etc. There was a tuck shop, office, training rooms, workshops where handcarts were made and where the Scouts could chop-up old pit-props into sticks. The stick-laden carts would be pulled by the Scouts around Bedlington so that the firewood could be sold door-to-door. Yes, I was one of the Scouts.

Willie Hall was the Scout Master - he lived in a detached house on Hartford Road (opposite South Riggs) - I heard a rumour (I met, by chance in the 80's, a Bedlington lad on the London Underground who told me) that there was a bit of scandal but I can't remember any details.

OOOHHHH i remember that cant remember what year it got pulled down though, must have been in the last ten to fifteen years though

Guest MONGO
Can you imagine Mongo been a scout leader? He`d have them walking on hot coals :lol:

NO COME ON I'M NOT THAT BAD I WOULD HAVE THEM WALKING BARE FOOT ON RAZOR WIRE :lol::lol:

There was a bit of scandel at the cubs/scouts, at the scouts hall near the old Pioneer boot factory sixties/ early seventies, can't go into details here.

OOOHHHH i remember that cant remember what year it got pulled down though, must have been in the last ten to fifteen years though

Yes.The high winds one year blew the roof off,instead of repairing it W.D.C. served a demolition order on it,room for two houses ...................Didn't you know!

Switching back to the matter in hand, there is a pack of Beaver scouts based in Wideopen, near Newcastle. The name of this pack?

Warm lately, no? Lots of rain though...

How 'bout that Mike Ashley fellow? Pots o' money...

Anyhow, the name of this pack: The Beaver Scout Association of Wideopen!!!!!LOL!!!!!BITOBLUE!!!!!11!!!!!!!

Switching back to the matter in hand, there is a pack of Beaver scouts based in Wideopen, near Newcastle. The name of this pack?

Warm lately, no? Lots of rain though...

How 'bout that Mike Ashley fellow? Pots o' money...

Anyhow, the name of this pack: The Beaver Scout Association of Wideopen!!!!!LOL!!!!!BITOBLUE!!!!!11!!!!!!!

:blink: ... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Does the cadet hut still run ?

The air cadets beside the garage at the station is still running...

There was also an army cadet hut if thats the one you mean near the cricket club, dunno if that still runs though.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now