Beatty Road

6 hours ago, Katherine Hyde said:

Hi i was wondering if anyone had any history on beatty road? What year the house's were built etc....im thinking 1922? I was told haig and beatty was named after admiral beatty and admiral haig?

@Katherine Hyde - welcome to the group.

I don't know the exact year that Haig & Beatty road were built but I don know my granny Henderson and family, my mam's parents, lived in both. Our family has a written record, in the back of the family bible, that records my mam, born 1920 and her brother Martin, born 1921, were born in Carrs Buildings on the Glebe bank and the next 7 children were born in Haig Road and the first one recorded in Haig Road is Jane Anne (known as Jean) in 1923. The last sibling was born in Haig Road in 1937. The whole family had then moved to Beaty Road, a slightly bigger house, not longer after 1937.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Katherine Hyde said:

Thanks for the info 😊 my grandparents lived millbank place my mam was only 6 month when they moved there in 1948 they were the maguire family. And think millbank place wasnt up long before thry moved in.

That's right @Katherine Hyde. The name 'Mill Bank' and 'Mill Bank road' appear on many late 19thc and early 20thc maps but I don't think I have ever stumbled across anyone explaining exactly what the Mill Bank area was about :iiam: (to me). The council houses, Millbank Place, were built (just like half of the council estates in Bedlington) after WW2. Our family moved into our council house, Coquetdale Place, in 1949 whilst they were still building the estate.

I had a look at the old maps that are available for 1921. 

Two show the area where Haig and Beatty road are as clear :-

1921RevisedHaigRoadetcclear.thumb.jpg.4819f73c0e47b16accddc98774abd53a.jpg1921RevisedHaigRoadetcclear.thumb.jpg.4819f73c0e47b16accddc98774abd53a.jpg

The 1896 map also has Mill Bank named :-

MillBank1896.thumb.jpg.b711bea70a3ab5ce5c009442c669fbe2.jpg

But then a 'Revised'  1921 map shows Alfred Road, Rosalind Avenue, Haig Road and Beatty Road but is does show them as blank sections suggesting they are under construction :-

1921RevisedHaigRoadetc.thumb.jpg.26630e7ac6d531fa4bb3ad639593099f.jpg

Then the 1937 map shows as the semi-detached houses :-

1937HaighandBeattyRoad.thumb.jpg.bb1dafdab13a73519bc9a7badff9dd30.jpg 

This is the two 1921 maps joined together :-1921Revised.thumb.jpg.29d5a36904e4471f9ae333de8c6bf43b.jpg

Edited by Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)
  • Thanks 1

Actually Haig  Road was named named after General Haig who served in the 1st w/w the poppy appeal bears he’s name & Admiral Beatty was in charge of the fleet in the Battle of Jutland also 1st W/W General Haig is buried at Melrose Abbey.on the Scottish Borders. Milbank place was built in 1950s my mum & Dad was of the first tenants I was doing a topic on Millbank place but never got round to finishing it yet but Millbank terrace & crescent was built much earlier

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Tonyp said:

Actually Haig  Road was named named after General Haig who served in the 1st w/w the poppy appeal bears he’s name & Admiral Beatty was in charge of the fleet in the Battle of Jutland also 1st W/W General Haig is buried at Melrose Abbey.on the Scottish Borders. Milbank place was built in 1950s my mum & Dad was of the first tenants I was doing a topic on Millbank place but never got round to finishing it yet but Millbank terrace & crescent was built much earlier

Cheers @Tonyp = never new that. I see there is info on the Royal British Legion (RBL) :- site re the Haig family and the founding of the RBL :- https://www.britishlegion.org.uk/stories/the-founding-of-rbl

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Tonyp said:

Will you be posting the topic on here? I would be interested in reading 😊

3 minutes ago, Katherine Hyde said:

Will you be posting the topic on here? I would be interested in reading 😊

https://www.britishlegion.org.uk/stories/the-founding-of-rbl

@Katherine Hyde - if you 'click/select' the link above ( it should be light blue in colour) then it should take you to the RBL site where you can read the full article:thumbsup:.

Hello Katherine, just been catching up on this site and noticed your topic. You said your grandparents were McGuire family. As Alan would say, memories again. We both knew Michael, I spent some occasions with Michael in sixties and happy to say he was instrumental in me meeting my wife in 65. We were married in 68. He was a good lad Michael and never forgotten him to this day. Hope you get some answers to your subject. P.S. I lived in Beatty Road until I went into army. Good community spirit back then. Regards 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jr6468 said:

Hello Katherine, just been catching up on this site and noticed your topic. You said your grandparents were McGuire family. As Alan would say, memories again. We both knew Michael, I spent some occasions with Michael in sixties and happy to say he was instrumental in me meeting my wife in 65. We were married in 68. He was a good lad Michael and never forgotten him to this day. Hope you get some answers to your subject. P.S. I lived in Beatty Road until I went into army. Good community spirit back then. Regards 

Hi yes my mam is Kathleen and i never got to meet my uncle Michael but heard alot about him...what is your name i will tel my mam ive been talking to you. It must of stuck with beatty road as its still good community spirt to this day.

Good morning Katherine,so sorry I forgot to say my name is Jim Richardson. We lived in Beatty Road. First years along with Ord family in one room then across street at 40 finally at 17. I went off to army though. Spent a week down south with Michael working but hated it so came back up here. I always remember him wearing a black suit standing outside his house at millbank. Tragedy for that poor lad and his family. Beatty Road was much better I think when it had trees in front gardens during fifties. Met a guy called Jimmy Clause last year on a visit. New everyone's name from past. He lived in Beatty. Take care. Jim 

• Like 1

• threegee changed the title to Beatty Road

Your right as my grandma & grandpa moved in there from brand new at Millbank from Hirst terrace unfortunately he was killed at the Dr Pit in April 1949 so spent very little time there shame really 

• Like 1

On 17/03/2023 at 19:01, Katherine Hyde said:

Wonder what year they done away with the pointed roof above the windows?

Screenshot_20230316_164125_Messenger.jpg

Can't help you with the answer to that question @Katherine Hyde.

As far as I can see the couple of photos that are in the Gallery section under Historic Bedlington and in the Album 'Old Photos of Bedlington 2' are the only ones we have are Haig road and they are of VE Day, 1945 and still showing the roofs as they were when the houses were built.

• Like 1

On 13/03/2023 at 12:34, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

The name 'Mill Bank' and 'Mill Bank road' appear on many late 19thc and early 20thc maps but I don't think I have ever stumbled across anyone explaining exactly what the Mill Bank area was about :iiam: (to me)

That could be an interesting rummage in the deep, dark cellars of the English language in particular and of Bedlington history in general! Challenge accepted!!

• Like 1

I think it might have something to do with the steelworks because before Millbank place Knox road it would have been direct access to the woods & iron works hence the word mill bank but that’s just an outrageous guess

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now