BBC archive - Northumberland Miners Picnic 1961

1961: The delight of the MINERS' BRASS BAND PICNIC | Monitor 54 | Weird and Wonderful | BBC Archive

John Gibson introduces us to the brass band carnival and the colliery band contest at Bedlington, Northumberland which occurs each year - as a grand occasion for the family - mixing politics, beauty queens and, of course, music. John was representing Pegswood Colliery in Morpeth, Northumberland, which as he predicted was to soon close, doing so in 1969, some 101 years after it first opened. This short film was directed by Ken Russell. Clip taken from Monitor 54, originally broadcast on BBC Television on Sunday 3 July 1960.

• Like 3

Great watch, x2, Looking for my then fiancé, family and tons of relatives (they came from far and wide) at my first picnic.

Just re read the intro and see it was 1960, one year before we met, everyone except me would be there!

Edited by Vic Patterson
  • Like 1

I've watched that several times over the years, but there's always something I previously missed.  Ken Russel's stuff always tends to the surreal after a while, and the rain-off plus carousel at the end deliver beautifully for him here.

Far too many things I recognise to comment on, but the shot down into the council yard at 3:46 adds a bit to last week's discussion about The Shirt Factory.

How do we know it's actually 1960 and NOT 1961?  Well... look at the peek at the top corner of the calendar at 4:35 - Sundays were on the 19th and 26th of June in 1960, but if it were 1961 these would have to read 18th and 25th.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, threegee said:

I've watched that several times over the years, but there's always something I previously missed.  Ken Russel's stuff always tends to the surreal after a while, and the rain-off plus carousel at the end deliver beautifully for him here.

Far too many things I recognise to comment on, but the shot down into the council yard at 3:46 adds a bit to last week's discussion about The Shirt Factory.

How do we know it's actually 1960 and NOT 1961?  Well... look at the peek at the top corner of the calendar at 4:35 - Sundays were on the 19th and 26th of June in 1960, but if it were 1961 these would have to read 18th and 25th.

Is the year 1961 just refering to when the film was broadcast? 

Picnic 1960 was Saturday 11th June & 1961 was Saturday 10th June.

@threegee I think I need a cup of tea and a lie down - I can't see any calendar at 4:35 :)

435.png

3 hours ago, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

Is the year 1961 just refering to when the film was broadcast? 

Picnic 1960 was Saturday 11th June & 1961 was Saturday 10th June.

@threegee I think I need a cup of tea and a lie down - I can't see any calendar at 4:35 :)

Hey, it's the modern BBC: you simply can't expect inclusivity, diversity, and getting the year right - all at the same time!

OK, try 3:35 for the peek at the calendar.  It's the time difference here, you see! ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Miss Cambois 1960. 14.58. 

Got to love the "happy dancer" Zoom and freeze brings all the families back, slower simpler times, times were much harder then but you wouldn't think so looking at the faces, especially the kids. Most of these people have left us now but with the magic of cinematography we can enjoy their company again.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, threegee said:

Hey, it's the modern BBC: you simply can't expect inclusivity, diversity, and getting the year right - all at the same time!

OK, try 3:35 for the peek at the calendar.  It's the time difference here, you see! ;)

Now I see it - 

335 pic.jpg

Sunday 28th.jpg

• Like 1

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now