Labour Leader Contest

5 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

How can we have a poll when we don't know who the runners are? Nominations now extended to 9th June.

Anyway they are ooot for the next five years, at least. So does it matter anyway?

You don't know who Diane Abbott is!? http://www.dianeabbott.org.uk/ You can't have been watching much political TV as she frequently appears, and seems to get on quite well with arch Tory, Michael Portillo.

Diane seems less wooden and more up-front than most Labour wimmin. Definitely someone I'd buy a used car from (but not a used political party). :D

How can we have a poll when we don't know who the runners are? Nominations now extended to 9th June.

yes we do i named them! the realistic ones laugh.gif

Anyway they are ooot for the next five years, at least. So does it matter anyway?

yes because i can see the power sharing ending sooner than later!

You don't know who Diane Abbott is!? http://www.dianeabbott.org.uk/ You can't have been watching much political TV as she frequently appears, and seems to get on quite well with arch Tory, Michael Portillo.

who cares she's got no chance! and portilos a fat nosed puff

Diane seems less wooden and more up-front than most Labour wimmin. Definitely someone I'd buy a used car from (but not a used political party). :D

it must be the barrack effect! laugh.gif

• 1 month later...

Well it's sure not going to be Harriet Harman! What a totally hopeless response to the budget speech - so predictable and formulaic it could have been written months ago. Not one iota of original thought, nor any attempt to seize the moment.

What's her "real world" job again? Oh yes, a solicitor! :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

Ed to quit?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/labour/7908683/Ed-Balls-considers-quitting-Labour-leadership-race-after-union-snub.html

But, does he have enough of them to go through with it? :lol:

So... it's either Milliband or Milliband then. My money is on Milliband!

• 2 months later...

Well it's sure not going to be Harriet Harman! What a totally hopeless response to the budget speech - so predictable and formulaic it could have been written months ago. Not one iota of original thought, nor any attempt to seize the moment.

What's her "real world" job again? Oh yes, a solicitor! :rolleyes:

True but what were the thought of the labour party when they made her deputy leader? I do not understand the logic behind that decision.

Working in unsafe conditions, 12 hours a day, earning 5 pound a week! and living in a company house (as long as to toe the line!) shopping at the company store! :unsure:

A complete myth, though one that the unions would like you to believe. Market forces are responsible for the advancement of living standards, and the unions have been a huge drag on the working man and our country for the past 50 years or more. Yes, there was a time, but both the Labour Party and the Trade Union movement thrive on the past.

The traditional unions have destroyed jobs and discouraged the creation of new ones. You've just got to look around the world to see the decline in traditionally unionised industries and the rise in non-unionised ones. Companies only grow when everyone is singing from the same song-sheet, smart managment knows that and smart labour knows that. Them and us, and everybody loses!

Anyway, a great day for the Tory and LD parties; they must have been praying for Labour to "return to it's roots" as the unelectable face of class-war! Even (especially?) his own brother knows that this is all going to end in tears for the party.

3G, I must disagree! a myth according to who! (or is that whom!) I believe unions made the changes! but when they began dictating government policy (60's-70's) they stopped being unions and became political parties! overstepping their mandate. (Communist Party, ETU, I was apprentice electrician then)

If it wasn't for the unions I don't believe the rich would have given any concessions to the workers. Today it is a different story, the owners are are smarter (and richer) by using the policy as you state, but only because of the stand the unions took many, many years ago. But I guess this could be debated for ever!

(Union member for over 40 years, until I was given the boot! :angry::wub: )

Vic it's useless arguing the point with an out and out Tory. Business men and the like have never liked unions and never will, it takes the power to walk rough shod over their labour away!

a ) I'm not a Tory - out and out or any other kind! Though - like all current political parties - I believe in free markets.

b ) This sounds straight out of Marx! That's not how modern industry works.

Not all union activity is bad, but in recent decades much of it has been completely counterproductive. That's been particularly the case when it has been used to further someone's political ends in the guise of improving working conditions.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now