Slave Labour?

Company version is that driver was told to drop them off at 5am but for his own reasons delivered them at 3am. Seized on by windbag Prescott to make political capital of the half-truth.

Kids are still paid their dole and are offered a "real job" at the Olympics.

Who would you rather employ Adam: someone who won't do it because they are being "exploited", or someone who welcomes the experience, sees it as a step on the employment ladder, and will get out of bed at 3am to prove their commitment? And... are employers never exploited?

Company version is that driver was told to drop them off at 5am but for his own reasons delivered them at 3am. Seized on by windbag Prescott to make political capital of the half-truth.

Kids are still paid their dole and are offered a "real job" at the Olympics.

Who would you rather employ Adam: someone who won't do it because they are being "exploited", or someone who welcomes the experience, sees it as a step on the employment ladder, and will get out of bed at 3am to prove their commitment? And... are employers never exploited?

I can comment on the work experience program, David Cameron said people who did the work experience would A: get a job after the work experience was finished. or B: Get a job six months down the line. I did the work experience, was always early, worked hard, helped anyone who needed it, and at the end of the work experience was told, "we are cutting everyone hours but we will inform you of any jobs here in the future," a few weeks ago i went in the other person who was on the work experience with me was working there i was never informed of a job vacancy there. Six months after the work experience where am i still on the dole.

Edited by Adam Hogg
  • Like 1

So don't let it rest there. Politely ask why you weren't informed - be quietly assertive and non-aggressive, quote facts but don't be combative. If you get the brush-off take it higher, and keep on asking. And... keep saying you WANT to work. Sooner or later someone will listen, or be made to listen.

So don't let it rest there. Politely ask why you weren't informed - be quietly assertive and non-aggressive, quote facts but don't be combative. If you get the brush-off take it higher, and keep on asking. And... keep saying you WANT to work. Sooner or later someone will listen, or be made to listen.

That's the best piece of advice I've heard given to a young person seeking work that I've heard for many a year! Mind if I use it on my grandson?

With an unemployment rate of 145,000 people in the north east i think it will be later.

Later is better than never - is it not?

I guess but sooner would be better, but with all the stuff going on in south east northumberland: Alcan Closing, County council cutting jobs and others it feels like never will be the one, not sooner or later :thumbsdown:

County Council needs grass cutters .......... only they dont seem to realise it yet !!!

Good idea they need some grass cutters, :thumbsup: will have to by a ford transit and trailer with a ride on lawn mower and a strimmer, but then again it would be self employed and i don't want to do because of bad experiences with people not paying.

• 2 weeks later...

Just my bit of gripe and insight. I just finished my SIA course. (Security Industry Authority) I was told there would be loads of jobs in that sector so not to worry. I got a certificate saying I had passed and was then told to apply for my licence - my badge BUT!!!!! I got the catch 22 system at that point. The badge cost £264. No security firm would touch me until I got it - Remploy Newcastle - where I did the training - said they would pay for it if I was gauranteed a job - but I couldn't get a job until I got the licence. AAARGH! Then I was told I had to have CCTV experience. I went back to remploy and the jobcentre and was told they couldn't train me in CCTV because of government cuts. Then I was told not to apply for any jobs in the security industry anyway because a new stipulation stated you had to have a car. Honest, the terms going round in circles and banging your head against the system wall apply.

Just my bit of gripe and insight. I just finished my SIA course. (Security Industry Authority) I was told there would be loads of jobs in that sector so not to worry. I got a certificate saying I had passed and was then told to apply for my licence - my badge BUT!!!!! I got the catch 22 system at that point. The badge cost £264. No security firm would touch me until I got it - Remploy Newcastle - where I did the training - said they would pay for it if I was gauranteed a job - but I couldn't get a job until I got the licence. AAARGH! Then I was told I had to have CCTV experience. I went back to remploy and the jobcentre and was told they couldn't train me in CCTV because of government cuts. Then I was told not to apply for any jobs in the security industry anyway because a new stipulation stated you had to have a car. Honest, the terms going round in circles and banging your head against the system wall apply.

I know the feeling keith, the hoops you have to jump through only to be told they where the wrong ones to jump through. :wtf: It is enough to drive you mad. :argue:

Edited by Adam Hogg

Keith/Adam,

Sounds like a bit of lateral thinking is called for.

Keith start your own security firm with Adam? I bet it's a case of being able to own a security company without any need for daft worthless paper qualifications?

You are chasing THE PAPER CIRCLES KEEPING OTHER PEOPLE IN OFFICE JOBS…….BREAK THE CHAIN!

I actually went to NBSL and did a management course because I thought of starting my own dog walking business up. One word stopped me - CAPITAL. It isn't even that easy to go self-employed. As Adam says, it's like jumping through hoops only someone is holding the hoop and raising it higher. The laughable think is I am a painter and decorator by trade and got my apprenticeship with Bedlington Urban District Council - just as it was melding into Wansbeck Council. A few years ago I had a change of vocation and went into care work - permanent nights. Now I want to get back into decorating - ONLY - I need a CSCS card. And these can be obtained - for a nominal sum - through private companies, etc. Someone is making money out of all these stipulations and licenses. I mean I know its for Health and safety and all of that but the term moving the goalposts springs to mind. Really sorry if I sound bitter but like Led Zep' said - "and it makes you wonder."

Keith/Adam,

Sounds like a bit of lateral thinking is called for.

Keith start your own security firm with Adam? I bet it's a case of being able to own a security company without any need for daft worthless paper qualifications?

You are chasing THE PAPER CIRCLES KEEPING OTHER PEOPLE IN OFFICE JOBS…….BREAK THE CHAIN!

It is as keith says, Malcolm the problem with self employment is Capital you must have money to make money and also people not paying you once you do the job.

It is as keith says, Malcolm the problem with self employment is Capital you must have money to make money and also people not paying you once you do the job.

Right Adam. It comes down to the old supply and demand syndrome. You can only supply if there is a demand for what you are offering. No demand then no money. Adios muchacho - another good idea down the drain. Private enterprises and shops are folding all the time because people haven't got the spare cash to spend. (That's simplifying things, sorry!) But priority is a key factor where money spending is concerned; and that's not just on a local level it is nationwide. Counting the pennies as my mam used to say. I mentioned a dog walking idea I had. Another key problem I had with that was Insurance. People worship the god litigation nowadays. I could take Malcolm's French poodle doon the Ha'penny Woods and Adam's pit bull fancies a poodle hors-d'oeuvre. Tyson the pittie makes mincemeat out of little Fifi. Now a coconut to those of you who work out who will get the blame for the demise of the Calais canine. Yours truly - the schmuck who is walking the dog; the one responsible for the pooch at that time and place. There is an enormous amount of issues to consider before going into private business. It is one thing the course hammered home to me. Remember those old westerns where the drifter rides onto the ranch and gets a job fixing fences - then he rides off into the sunset afterwards. Well gone are those days. Now he needs a P45 not a Colts 45 - that and a CSCS card and a health and safety certificate, not to mention a risk assessment before he starts. Shane, I love you - keep on riding!!!

Keith,

Next time I have some government lackey asking why this area is so bad for self-employment and business start-ups I will take you along!

Having said that, you are finding reasons why not to do something…………chuck that lot out of the window and find reasons why you can do something!

You could make me sign a form indemnifying you of blame should FIFI become Tyson's snack? I think that might be outside your responsibility anyway, I would think you could argue exceptional circumstances beyond your control and pass litigation to Adam?

Keith,

Next time I have some government lackey asking why this area is so bad for self-employment and business start-ups I will take you along!

Having said that, you are finding reasons why not to do something…………chuck that lot out of the window and find reasons why you can do something!

You could make me sign a form indemnifying you of blame should FIFI become Tyson's snack? I think that might be outside your responsibility anyway, I would think you could argue exceptional circumstances beyond your control and pass litigation to Adam?

Finding reasons why I can do something is not a problem, Malcolm. It's how I can go about it and then sustain it - that is the problem. When I put myself through the Business management course at NBSL the chap who was running it laid out the pros and cons. I have to be honest here and admit I did not have the buseness acumen to follow through some of the plans. But it opened my eyes to the problems involved in starting your own business. Nothing is simple anymore. You have to have enough clients to sustain an income, obviously. NBSL helped a lot of people see their dreams come true like opening shops and getting backing to start their own enterprise, but if you don't get the customers then that dream turns into a nightmare. It's back to basics. If people haven't got the spare cash then they are not going to spend, which means businesses can't thrive. Here's an example. I open a cafe in Bedlington. Joe Bloggs comes in and orders a coffee. It costs him £1.40 for a single cup. He goes down to Tesco and there is a jar of coffee for the same price - a jar that can give him multiple cups of coffee. Why do you think the pubs are waving white flags in Bedlington. People can get a six-pack at the corner shop for the cost of one pint in the local. I know all this sounds defeatist and simple, but there is some truth in it. There isn't the spare money going around to help sustain private enterprises, that's why there are so many shops falling empty. Sorry everyone, I'm not normally this pessimistic. I guess I'll just ride off into the sunset now and leave all you pilgrims to chew the cud. Where's my hoss?

Keith,

I really do understand, I have been bleating on about this stuff long enough! I know how hard it is I did it long enough.

Just to further complicate your analogy of a café and a coffee............"and another national enterprise opens up and hey presto a cup of coffee is 50p!"

I have just read through the latest economic development planning by NCC and it makes dismal reading for places like ours! This is of course subjective, some might say the futures bright the futures !*!@# Orange.

Thing is there are usually ways around everything in business you just need to know where to look!

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now