Is It Me?

Is it me or does anyone else have near misses with cyclists on pavements? Twice this week I have nearly been clipped by a biker speeding passed me from behind. I mean why do bike manufacturers not automatically install bells - like we used to have when i was a young whippersnapper. Cars have horns so why don't they fit bikes with bells or something.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always wondered why cyclists are allowed to use pavements. If it's got wheels it's a vehicle and should be on the road. If it's got feet (and using them to walk) it's a pedestrian and should be on the pavement! (with the exception of children learning to ride with adult supervision).

I've always wondered why cyclists are allowed to use pavements. If it's got wheels it's a vehicle and should be on the road. If it's got feet (and using them to walk) it's a pedestrian and should be on the pavement! (with the exception of children learning to ride with adult supervision).

I think cyclists should be able to ride on the road, but the problem is the roads are to busy and some drivers are to careless, however the same can be said about cyclists. I say this as a driver, cyclist and pedestrian

Cyclists are not supposed to use the pavement, nor are mobility scooters (if they exceed 4 mph) . I have had some extremely near misses involving cyclist while driving a wagon, London is particularly bad. On more than one occasion, while stopped at a red light with indicators on to turn left , cyclists come up on the near side. Because many of the junctions that we had to turn into are narrow, you have to straddle both lanes to stop traffic coming alongside, however this does not stop cyclists doing it. When you are driving a vehicle with a moffett (trailer mounted forklift) on the back you are around 56' long and there are blind spots, despite having a number of mirrors. Cyclists would often stand alongside the cab (nearside) out of the view of the driver, quite a few have been seriously injured or killed, there was one on the news not long ago who was killed doing just this. Those cyclist areas at traffic lights are just as bad. If someone on a bike stands right in front of a truck, the driver cant see them (unless they stand a few feet away) . That is why all new trucks are fitted with a mirror over the windsreen. During their training, hgv drivers are taught to be very aware of cyclists. Who teaches the cyclists (by law) to understand the difficulties the hgv driver has in seeing cyclists in such situations?

In my case - and this is just one of many in Bedlington - the cyclist sped passed me before I even knew he was there. If I had stepped to the right or left, just a matter of inches, he would have ploughed straight into me. Now can you imagine that happening to a pensioner!! My bone of contention is that cyclists don't let the pedestrian in front know they are approaching. A bell - a simple device like that - would let the walker know there was a cyclist behind them. IT IS THAT SIMPLE! But common sense does not come into it. I have even seen cyclists speeding along on the road when there is a wide cycle path next to them! It makes you wonder!!!

Edited by keith lockey

• 4 weeks later...

DREDD 3D

The new Judge Dredd movie is heading our way. Outstanding special effects, lavish sets, cast of hundreds, a budget 0f $45million. Its a pity they hadn't spent a few dollars on a spell checker. Look at the promo poster. Shouldn't there be an e in there?

post-2953-0-96409500-1346057444_thumb.jp

Edited by keith lockey

DREDD 3D

The new Judge Dredd movie is heading our way. Outstanding special effects, lavish sets, cast of hundreds, a budget 0f $45million. Its a pity they hadn't spent a few dollars on a spell checker. Look at the promo poster. Shouldn't there be an e in there?

"In a non-legal context, spelling differs between countries. The spelling judgement (with e added) is common in the United Kingdom in a non-legal context. In British English, the spelling judgment is correct when referring to a court's or judge's formal ruling, whereas the spelling judgement is used for other meanings. In American English, judgment prevails in all contexts. In Canada and Australia, in a non-legal context both forms are equally acceptable, although judgment is more common in Canada and judgement in Australia. However, in a legal and theological context, judgment is the only correct form. In New Zealand the form judgement is the preferred spelling in dictionaries, newspapers and legislation, although the variant judgment can also be found in all three categories. Usage in South Africa is similar to that in Australia and New Zealand. The spelling judgment is also found in the Authorized King James Version of the Bible."

Source WiKI so it must be right!!!!

"In a non-legal context, spelling differs between countries. The spelling judgement (with e added) is common in the United Kingdom in a non-legal context. In British English, the spelling judgment is correct when referring to a court's or judge's formal ruling, whereas the spelling judgement is used for other meanings. In American English, judgment prevails in all contexts. In Canada and Australia, in a non-legal context both forms are equally acceptable, although judgment is more common in Canada and judgement in Australia. However, in a legal and theological context, judgment is the only correct form. In New Zealand the form judgement is the preferred spelling in dictionaries, newspapers and legislation, although the variant judgment can also be found in all three categories. Usage in South Africa is similar to that in Australia and New Zealand. The spelling judgment is also found in the Authorized King James Version of the Bible."

Source WiKI so it must be right!!!!

Yes, much to my chagrin I see it can be spelt either way. (I had checked my OED first and they just spell it with an e.) It makes me wonder why i bothered going to skool!!!

Edited by keith lockey

Coz the child catcher would get us............

post-23-0-33356600-1346072493_thumb.jpg

I can actually remember the 'school-board man' coming to our house after I went down with a poisoned heel. I lost a lot of skooling but it didn't affect my edukayshun. The head-teacher, Mr Surtees, eventually picked me up every day and took me to Colditz...er...school. (PS, My granny used to put bread poltices on my heel!!!!)

Yes, much to my chagrin I see it can be spelt either way. (I had checked my OED first and they just spell it with an e.) It makes me wonder why i bothered going to skool!!!

How old is your OED Keith? I've got one in my collection printed 1977 and both forms are given.The vocabulary of a language, unlike the grammar, is constantly changing so it's a good idea to invest in a new dictionary every 10 years or so.

How old is your OED Keith? I've got one in my collection printed 1977 and both forms are given.The vocabulary of a language, unlike the grammar, is constantly changing so it's a good idea to invest in a new dictionary every 10 years or so.

Mine has words in like Gadzooks and begat in - so it can't be that old!!! I mean Queen Victoria is on the cover. No, I actually looked it up in the Oxford Reference Dictionary 1986. When I checked again it had both versions in. And the lesson to remember is to put my glasses on when looking things up.

Mine has words in like Gadzooks and begat in - so it can't be that old!!! I mean Queen Victoria is on the cover. No, I actually looked it up in the Oxford Reference Dictionary 1986. When I checked again it had both versions in. And the lesson to remember is to put my glasses on when looking things up.

mine knacks up when I type fast, watch . kjiuhigydtxrxefcjjhlllnjkh98776fvg43 =0--087ubf re ...... see

I caught a glimpse of this headline and immediately thought "Where Guy Fawkes failed..."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/19422097

Keith you've just spoilt my day,

Funny how the term spineless brings someone to mind but everytime I see or am reminded of Cleggy I could be violently sick, I've had a canny run all week not thinking about him and not watching telly and now it's Friday I'm looking forward to my night out at the Toon and you've caught me out. Never mind I'll try again next week.

Edited by foxy

Keith you've just spoilt my day,

Funny how the term spineless brings someone to mind but everytime I see or am reminded of Cleggy I could be violently sick, I've had a canny run all week not thinking about him and not watching telly and now it's Friday I'm looking forward to my night out at the Toon and you've caught me out. Never mind I'll try again next week.

Sorry Foxy, my hopes were dashed as well as soon as I saw it was about slugs and snails. But talking of nights out at the Toon. I remember when I was 17yr old going to Newcastle with a mate of mine and we went to a drinking establishment called the Bacchus. Now I remember very little of that night - except being turfed out of the pub for being underage. Which prompts me to ask does the Bacchus exist, or was it a figment of my alcholic condition. If it does exist where is it, and do you think they'll let me in without my birth certificate?

I've just received the NORTHUMBERLAND Adult Learning prospectus this week. Now is it me, or does everyone on the cover look American!!!

I'm sorry, but it just looks as if its a brochure for Mitt Romney's ideal of the future or Bible belt USA. (Stock photo?)

post-2953-0-83523200-1346595867_thumb.jp

Edited by keith lockey

I've just received the NORTHUMBERLAND Adult Learning prospectus this week. Now is it me, or does everyone on the cover look American!!!

I'm sorry, but it just looks as if its a brochure for Mitt Romney's ideal of the future or Bible belt USA. (Stock photo?)

They should show people working on the courses not posing for photos, that iis the idea of the courses.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now