Cemetery Tales

Before the Health and Safety strike, I wonder who and what we can record.

Today is a birthday in the family and it seemed like a good day to remember all those who have gone before.

The cemetery still provides echoes past and present.

So many names there of people on the site.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before the Health and Safety strike, I wonder who and what we can record.

Today is a birthday in the family and it seemed like a good day to remember all those who have gone before.

The cemetery still provides echoes past and present.

So many names there of people on the site.

A good place to learn from as well Maggie. I recently walked round Chillingham churchyard and the list of friends and former neighbours taking up residence in there is growing at an alarming rate. Doesn't half stir some memories though.

I find cemeteries to be hugely interestign places. I recently moved from Bedlington to Choppington and have spent some time browsing that over the road (St Paul's) and it is truly fascinating.

• 2 weeks later...

very interesting old grave head stones., You know what really gets me today is the pushing over of head stones for health and safety reasons.

I think its more of a liability leaving them the way they do after pushing them over.

Old mineworking cause subsidence, as we know, but why do they not think about putting the headstone down on top of the grave neatly ?

I would have thought that would be a better idea as not to loose the identitity.

Or may laying the headstone just abouve the grave so it can be seen ?

I dunno, the amount of headstones that are old just pushed over and broken and left on the ground as they fall. Its sad to think that people of the past paid as much for the headstones and today they are pushed over

and broken as they fall. You would think by todays standards we would think about doing it in a better way.

What a shame. Just imagine if it was one of our loved ones. ?

WHAT DO YOU THINK ?

Comments as alweays welcome

Edited by johndawsonjune1955

• 2 weeks later...

I was going to walk around and take a few pictures of the old graves to put on the site.

However my own cemetery tale, nearly got in the way.

My son was forced by a taxi driver, who drove at him in a cycle lane, to take evasive action; what started as a flesh wounds, turned into a fractured skull, bleeding on the brain and he was unable to walk for a day or so.

He is recovering slowly and has not become a cemetery tale.

One day I will post any pictures of graves that I think may interest people.

It is one way of preserving our heritage.

Maybe a bit dark.

Suppose I could quote some of the funeral service here, but I won't!

very interesting old grave head stones., You know what really gets me today is the pushing over of head stones for health and safety reasons.

I think its more of a liability leaving them the way they do after pushing them over.

Old mineworking cause subsidence, as we know, but why do they not think about putting the headstone down on top of the grave neatly ?

I would have thought that would be a better idea as not to loose the identitity.

Or may laying the headstone just abouve the grave so it can be seen ?

I dunno, the amount of headstones that are old just pushed over and broken and left on the ground as they fall. Its sad to think that people of the past paid as much for the headstones and today they are pushed over

and broken as they fall. You would think by todays standards we would think about doing it in a better way.

What a shame. Just imagine if it was one of our loved ones. ?

WHAT DO YOU THINK ?

Comments as alweays welcome

The reason NCC put the headstones on the ground was because there was supposedly a fault in them, however i think if there was a fault with them they should have been repaired or replaced then put back in the same place they stood, however if you go to the Cemetery there are a lot of "spaces" in the old part makes you think how many people are in graves that have been forgotten or never had headstones in the first place.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now