Bedlington Young Farmers Ploughing Association

Maggie/915

I can remember Graham Coatsworth going on about Bedlington Young Farmers Club. I think he may of hosted a ploughing match or two. Graham was actually a Yorkshireman who farmed Sleekburn cottage farm on the Barrington road. (now Keith Muters stables and livery yard ). Bedlington Young Farmers Club was not around when I was old enough to join, I was in the school YFC and later Tritlington YFC.

My folks went to a lot of the Hunt Balls.

Whalton etc

I guess in the early 50s Bedlington was a different place.

Certainly farming was different.

My early memories of the mart, the old farmers, besides time and place are now history.

There was not a pub where they did not know someone.

Memories of who rode horses huge distances, the cattle, the sheep, not to mention what you did with two bricks!

There was one farm up country with a loo over a cliff.

Exciting.

Someone is writing about the old sheep dogs, one in particular that lived at Cambo and had a way of looking at the sheep that worked a treat. I am left wondering if some of the old dogs in Bedlington were related.

The article about the Border Collies, is in the latest Northumbrian Magazine.

They hope to display a plaque in Cambo, to the Collie called Hemp born 120 years ago.

Reading the article made me think of the Border Collies I have come across.

It seems that their intelligence is recognised to the point where in many competitions they have an ABC section.

Anything but collies

I remember ploughing competitions with horse and plough in and around Bedlington.

It seems so long ago.

Me too Merc.

He used to use the bus Raisbecks of course to get into Bedlington.

My daughter now has two and when one dog was dying the other would not leave his side.

Early memories of them being used to bring the sheep in, they were/are brilliant dogs.

Iv got two border collies,Ben and Sam, really intellegent, Ben rarely barks, Sam makes up for him. If ever Ben needs out during the night Sam barks for him, il come down stairs Ben will be at the door and Sam still on his bed.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now