Tradition

I hoard lots of things.

One of my kids says a skip will be required when I die.!!

. So who do we leave things too and what should we leave.

Today I have finally thrown out some old slippers.

They should have gone a long time ago.

It seems there was a tradition whereby an old pair of shoes was put somewhere in a new house as a connection with a past life.

I wonder if I am alone in not wanting to part with items.

'We do not own our possessions our possessions own us'

Tradition or just plain crackers.

Maggie I used to save many a thing but not anymore. I'm not frivolous or a spend thrift just living today's society. If we didn't replace goods frequently would there be enough employment for the increasing population to make money to buy more goods.

I would say for our generation it was not just tradition but necessary to help make ends meet.

We were brought up with it. Nothing was thrown away, just in case a use was found for an item years later. We were taught to reuse everything rather than spend more cash on replacing an object that could be reused. We can use the old sayings like - 'things aren't built t last anymore' and 'kids today just don't know they are born ' etc.

How many people used to have a garage that you couldn't get you car into! The garage was full of materials from jobs done ages ago but we would never throw the surplus out.

My spare planks of knotty pine, from the 80's, lay in my old garage for years. They lay next to the spare pieces of - plaster board, sheet(s) of hardboard, rough and dressed wood cut off the  6ft/8ft planks etc.,unless you got the exact length you required from Keenleyside's off-cut bucket! Jars full of nails and screws, some nails I had even straightened out after extracting them from used timber. Today would we use 20 different off-cuts and a couple of doors to build a fence? My uncle Luke, Dr. Terrace, never worked after his encounter with a detonator from the Dr Pitt, used to look after at least 3 gardens growing fruit and veg and I remember every shed, greenhouse, partition fence etc. was made from recycled materials.

I remember my mam buying a houseplant that decided to grow and required extra support to assist it's growth so my dad did not go out and buy any canes etc he pushed the spare size 0 knitting needles (no longer required as the hippie chunky knitwear of the 60's had died out) into the pot as support.

I still try and convince our grandkids that most of today's toys & gadgets are just the old stuff with new packaging.

Could go on and on but wont. Recycle Maggie. Fill the charity bags and let the charities decide what they can reuse.

As for superstition, throw that out. Walk under ladders; cross people on the stairs in the house; put your umbrella up in the house.

But you are not crackers, just conscientious.      

I think every household had a sideboard with one drawer dedicated to bits and bobs and buttons. I know we did; there would be dufflecoat toggles, brass buttons, brooches, WWII medals and who knows what else. We also had shrapnel from a German fighter that came down at the Bedlington brick kiln. (At least that's what me and my bro were told)

Now with me it's books. I hoard books, hundreds of them, mainly for nostalgia. They remind me of times gone by and I am loathe to part with them, every book takes me back to a certain time - the same as my vinyl records. When I pop my clogs someone is going to get a treasure trove of non-fiction and fiction books and 60s - 70s LPs.

Edited by keith lockey

Thanks Eggy but I think I am a lost cause.

The old toys are recycled for the Grandkids, the old Monopoly board is still used and clothes worn by the parents are now worn by their kids.

The trouble is that the most unlikely items become treasured.

My Dad knocked the bottom out of old stone jars to cradle delicate plants and I still keep them.

His old nails are still around just in case of need.

Now I guess the weight of metal is valuable.

It seems five house moves equate to a fire for getting rid of possessions.

Keith, we also hoard books and records.

Nostalgia, treasures or a more traditional way of

life!

This last term of life has its challenges.

What has happened to the Leek Club Tradition.

Does anyone still grow and show leeks.

I am not a club member!

Maggie - you need to checkout entries by Paul Mann, that started thgis topic, see topics in History Hollow

All This Talk About Leek Clubs...
Started by Canny lassJan 09 2012 02:15 PM

Paul Mann: The Leek Club - Audio Archive ... - Bedlington.co.uk

24 Mar 2013 - Paul Mann: The Leek Club John & Geoff call Maine USA to talk to Paul about his new book which is set in Bedlington.It is a tale of sex, violence ...

3.   All This Talk About Leek Clubs... - Bedlington Community

www.bedlington.co.uk › ... › Town & Around â€º History Hollow‎

Leek Shows - Chat Central - Bedlington Community

www.bedlington.co.uk › ... › Town & Around â€º Chat Central‎

27 Nov 2008 - 9 posts - ‎7 authors

Leek Clubs are still en vogue in the Station. Coupled with a sideline in extortion/domino cards in the pub, they make for a blue chip long-term  ...

5.   Paul Mann - latest

www.pauljmann.com/latest.htm‎

o   

Bedlington FM Leek Club Interview: Here's a newly released recording of a live-to-air interview I did with John White at SNRG-FM in Bedlington last year when I  ...

• 2 weeks later...

Maggie - can't find anything on current Bedlington Leek clubs. If there are still going then I guess it would be the CIU clubs and not whats left of the pubs.

Just checked the Northumberland branches of the www.wmciu.org.uk‎ and even the Netherton Club, where Bedlington leek grower Rob Hall broke the world record, for 3 leeks is not listed. 

Cambois club used to have a reputation for it's after leek show party with leek soup & broth but can't find anything on that either.

Thanks Eggy.

Seems a shame we all have grass and paving stones instead of those wonderful veg plots.

Soon we will all be going back to growing our food with pigs and chickens in the wash house.

My mother used to feed the birds and my Dad reckoned the birds had lettuce sandwiches.

Eating peas in the garden, far better than any sweets.

Scallions, beetroot, carrots , new potatoes dug up before hey got too big.

Nostalgia pure and simple!

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now