Murder Of Giraffe At Copenhagen Zoo

I have never been against the culling of animals. 

I have always believed that people in responsible positions must have common sense and any decisions that they make, knowing they will be publicized and attract the media, are made by majority vote by all members of that group. When we see decisions made by governments; banks; councils etc. etc. and we wonder how could sensible educated knowledgeable adults come to such decisions, I assume they know much more than is being released and therefore I am wrong to judge without all the facts.

If zoo animals need culling and they save money by using the meat to feed the other animals they don't have to play a fan-fare when they do it. Just do it without publicity and the majority will understand. We don't have to like it but we know it makes sense rather than waste resources. 

I explained to my kids, in the wild animals feed off each other, that's the law of the jungle. Zoos protect animals (yes initially it was for someone to make money) and allow children to see them up close, as the majority of children would never get the opportunity to see them in their natural world.

But this is one of those cases where you thing - 'What the f*** are they doing'. I hope an online campaign is started to bring charges of child cruelty against those responsible. 

Edited by Eggy1948

I have never been against the culling of animals. 

I have always believed that people in responsible positions must have common sense and any decisions that they make, knowing they will be publicized and attract the media, are made by majority vote by all members of that group. When we see decisions made by governments; banks; councils etc. etc. and we wonder how could sensible educated knowledgeable adults come to such decisions, I assume they know much more than is being released and therefore I am wrong to judge without all the facts.

If zoo animals need culling and they save money by using the meat to feed the other animals they don't have to play a fan-fare when they do it. Just do it without publicity and the majority will understand. We don't have to like it but we know it makes sense rather than waste resources. 

I explained to my kids, in the wild animals feed off each other, that's the law of the jungle. Zoos protect animals (yes initially it was for someone to make money) and allow children to see them up close, as the majority of children would never get the opportunity to see them in their natural world.

But this is one of those cases where you thing - 'What the f*** are they doing'. I hope an online campaign is started to bring charges of child cruelty against those responsible. 

To a degree I agree with you on the culling of animals, but here there were other options.  Other zoos were prepared to take him.  Did they just let him live for 18 months so there was enough meat to go around?  Yes, animals eat other animals in the wild, but in the wild at least the prey has a chance to escape, this animal had no chance.

Someone send this guy a copy of Gerald Ratner's book.  He's going to need it to find out how to recover from one of the biggest PR disasters any manager could cause for a business.  In his quest to go all environmental he's totally lost sight of where the bread and butter comes from.

Somerset levels come immediately to mind. Once humans intervene massively in nature all the environmental stuff has to play third fiddle.  He may think his job is an environmentalist, but when the zoo inevitably becomes insolvent, he'll discover natural forces that he never reckoned with!  He's running a zoo, not the bleeding Kruger National Park!

There I was quietly reading my beloved Guardian when I nearly choked on my coffee and croissant;  I'd just come across the headline that the Danes had topped Marius.  I read the article with increasing disbelief and the news that they'd actually done the deed in front of all those nippers with public disembowelment to follow, finally chucking his entrails to the lions.  You simply couldn't make it up!

Yep, I accept the scientific argument regarding the shrinking European genepool but wouldn't a shagging ban for Marius been a better option especially since that wildlife park in ecky-thump land were prepared to take him.  Just imagine if the boiled Rød Pølse suckers had reprieved him at the last moment what fantastic positve publicity would have been generated for the zoo with thousands of extra rubber-neckers paying to get in to see him.  But then again this is a country that allows some of its folk to slaughter whales and dolpins up in their Faroe Islands - bastards! 

I reckon GGG is near the mark when he suggests the place is stuffed ... just wait for the demos at the gates, the online campaigns, and so on.   

I actually just heard of this via this site (I got rid of my Telly three years ago in disgust at the crap they were expecting licence payers to watch.) So at first I thought it was a joke!!! I watched the video and couldn't believe what I was seeing and hearing. How can  people in authority - the vet and the manager of the zoo - be so callous and arrogant and I hasten to add ignorant. I hope they slip on a pile of giraffe dung and fall into the lion's enclosure. If not I'll be happy to lend a hand.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now