Rhubarb

I vaguely remember when I very young there used to be a farm in the free woods opposite deanview west I think the guy was called

Hunter. I remember the house as a derelict house.I think the council took it down,anyway he grew lots of fruit & rhubarb was in

Abundance I remember my mother asking us to go & pick some so she could make her pies.it costs a fortune now,some of the older

Members might recollect the farm & the guys name

Kieth no it wasn't Pringles I'll try & get the geography right,beside what you call monkey islands which went across to the hapenny woods there was an area we used to call the little woods it was about 1-2 acres & stank of wild garlic.if you past them woods you would come onto grassland if you went back onto the main path & walked about 50 yards down the house was on the left side of the road I

Even think bedlington council took it down before they started to clear the shrubs etc..

I vaguely remember when I very young there used to be a farm in the free woods opposite deanview west I think the guy was called

Hunter. I remember the house as a derelict house.I think the council took it down,anyway he grew lots of fruit & rhubarb was in

Abundance I remember my mother asking us to go & pick some so she could make her pies.it costs a fortune now,some of the older

Members might recollect the farm & the guys name

Tony - I think I can remember the farm you are on about, especially the fruit trees. Unfortunately can't remember any names but I seem to recall the people in the farm/house were the grand parents of a female member of this site. I joined the site in May 2013 so it wasn't that long ago but I can't remember any other details. 

Getting back to the topic - Rhubarb - yes I remember been told to pick a stick out of our garden and go and play. Me dad grew it in the ground, inside a metal bucket with the bottom cut out to stop the plant spreading.

But to think that we survived the threat of no more imported rhubarb, from China, and 90% of the worlds winter rhubarb is forced to grow in the Yorkshire Rhubarb Triangle.

post-3031-0-82124000-1404419218_thumb.jp

Queen Victoria did not tell her subjects that the Chinese were to retaliate us causing the Opium war, by stopping the rhubarb export to us and we would be in danger of mass constipation and death.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBF40bQCd_4

Unlike the rest of you, I STILL HATE RHUBARB, even with loads of sugar.

Edited by Eggy1948

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now