Your Favorite Boozer?

Blank

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pete - I remember they used to have bands playing in the upstairs concert room at the Market Place Club every week; the girls would do their stuff around their handbags on the dance square at the front and the lads would crowd the back of the room near the long bar swilling ale (I have a vague feeling that a pint might have been either 10d or 1 shilling & 10d - ???). I seem to think that it might well have been couples sitting at the tables being 'waited-on'. Funny how the evenings usually ended-up with a 'bundle', fists flying, the cops arriving and all being turfed out onto the street.

There used to be a tanner entrance fee up the narrow staircase, although we used to avoid paying it by waiting for a crowd signing-in, slip into the bottom bar and get a pint, then slip past the old guy on the desk whilst pretending to be members (we were under-age so couldn't have cards). Worked every time.

As I recall the price of a pint in the Clayton was about 1/-3d but in the club I think Fed was only 10d or 11d. I used to go in the Market place club at the weekends and as you say there used to be bands on, good times. Yes I have seen a few fists fly outside that club and it used to be regular outside the Railway when they had the Discothèque. The Banktop was a good pub in them days.

Its a bit different today, I remember when the pubs used to have an extension until 11 o' clock on New years Eve, it was amazing being in a pub at that time of night.

Good days but sadly they have gone.

Tab smoke!.........soon to be extinguished in public places in England I believe. Any views?? :unsure:

Yes change the law, I want to be able to smoke in the club and not be told that I can have a pint but no fags.

This goverment is run like big brother soon you will not be able to do anything except pay your taxes and thats all they will let you do.

Get rid of the three main political parties and lets start a party for the people. :lol:

Yes change the law, I want to be able to smoke in the club and not be told that I can have a pint but no fags.

This goverment is run like big brother soon you will not be able to do anything except pay your taxes and thats all they will let you do.

Get rid of the three main political parties and lets start a party for the people. :lol:

Great idea Pete! You should be the leader,i would vote for you :lol:

are you not at the bingo tonight Pete? :blink:

No I don't go out much on a Sunday only sometime, I struggle to get up for work if I have too much to drink on a Sunday night.

Mind you I was unlucky last night, waiting for number 66 for the flyer, it never come out. Ah well there's always next week. :lol:

No I don't go out much on a Sunday only sometime, I struggle to get up for work if I have too much to drink on a Sunday night.

Mind you I was unlucky last night, waiting for number 66 for the flyer, it never come out. Ah well there's always next week. :lol:

Good luck Pete

I love tales of bingo-related derring-do.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now