Whats That Old Shop Called?

The one next to Somerfield? I overheard the bloke in !*!@# Hat saying that Wetherspoons had bought it..has anyone heard owt?

i heard it was going to be another carpet shop! or an internet cafe! hahahahahaha

The one next to Somerfield? I overheard the bloke in !*!@# Hat saying that Wetherspoons had bought it..has anyone heard owt?

The amount of times I've heard that Wetherspoons has bought a vacant building in Bedlington...

It's been empty for ages now, so has the old More Store shop... Why is there lots of empty buildings in Bedlington?

Guest missvic
One thing thats missing from Bedlington................ Charity shops!

Oh and somwhere decent to shop!

I knew some folk who were trying to open a charitiy shop in Bedlington a few years back but the Bedlington chamber of trade (or someone like that) wouldn't allow it.

:angry:

Guest missvic
The amount of times I've heard that Wetherspoons has bought a vacant building in Bedlington...

It's been empty for ages now, so has the old More Store shop... Why is there lots of empty buildings in Bedlington?

The Weatherspoons rumour lives on...

I can't imagine that they would buy a place in Bedlington, there are enough pubs already and most of them empty a lot of the time.

One thing thats missing from Bedlington................ Charity shops!

Oh and somwhere decent to shop!

i that tyche and bedlington fashion place shut down! :lol: :lol: :lol: thought there was a tatt shop opening down by the dun cow? donna's dusty bin or sumit?

I knew some folk who were trying to open a charitiy shop in Bedlington a few years back but the Bedlington chamber of trade (or someone like that) wouldn't allow it.

Not at all true! The Bedders CoT have no such powers, and are in reality just a nice old club of almost-near-retirement businessmen who meet up for a chin wag! They'd be happy to see almost any kind of shop but an empty one.

I speak as one who has never been a member personally, but has sometimes got so close to the action that it seems uncanny! :D :D

The real reason for the empty shops... oops, got to go to a chin wag - back soon! ;)

Not at all true! The Bedders CoT have no such powers, and are in reality just a nice old club of almost-near-retirement businessmen who meet up for a chin wag! They'd be happy to see almost any kind of shop but an empty one.

I speak as one who has never been a member personally, but has sometimes got so close to the action that it seems uncanny! :D :D

The real reason for the empty shops... oops, got to go to a chin wag - back soon! ;)

i so they can get turned into flats and the present owner can make a quick penny or two!

i so they can get turned into flats and the present owner can make a quick penny or two!

This is interesting. Turning a shop into flats would make the owner money? Some examples where this has happened maybe?

If this has happened then why would anyone have a problem with it? Why wouldn't it be for the general good?

I think that what we are getting at here is exactly what is wrong with our Town; but maybe not in the way that you think!

Is it because the front street is owned by about three people and the rents for the shops are astronomical.

Also the people from London who now own the old Maxi Freeze shop are interested in buying the empty Somerfield shop to turn the ground floor into shops and the remaining floors into appartments,as was planned for Maxi Freeze,

But due to parking and access problems at Maxi Freeze they decided to make the upstairs into offices.Though as yet I don't think they have had any interest in said offices.

If I hear of any further developments I'll let you know,golf courses are wonderful places you know!!! ;)

As GGG said The COT have no such power. However if it is the one I know about the people involved wanted the COT to "organise it and run it". As it was going to sell new lines which several shops in the town already offered and due to the "overheads" paid by charity shops it was felt by the COT that this was unfair and unrealistic competition and as such they couldn't support it. A long way short of "not allowing" it!

Once you see charity shops opening, and I am not dissing them they have their place and serve a valuable purpose, you know that the retail shops in the same area have problems. It means a "normal" retailer would not reopen a shop there for commercial reasons and it is these "commercail reasons" which any COT should be trying to change.

Is it because the front street is owned by about three people and the rents for the shops are astronomical.

This isn't at all true. The rents on Bedlington Front Street are some of the lowest commercial rents in the area. Significantly less than on Ashington high street. I've sat in on several negotiations in recent years. The ownership if fairly broad. Point to a property and I will find out who owns it, assuming I don't know already.

Also the people from London who now own the old Maxi Freeze shop are interested in buying the empty Somerfield shop to turn the ground floor into shops and the remaining floors into appartments,as was planned for Maxi Freeze,

But due to parking and access problems at Maxi Freeze they decided to make the upstairs into offices.Though as yet I don't think they have had any interest in said offices.

A lack of parking places in Bedlington!? :blink: So evil Mr Out-Of-Town Developer is going to make a fast buck at the Town's expense is he? Do you know how much it costs to keep a commercial property empty these days? This money goes back to WDC in the form of the UBR, which is supposed to be spent on local amenities. It's also loaded onto the prospective tenant. The latter is just one of the reasons why we really do have empty shops.

If I hear of any further developments I'll let you know,golf courses are wonderful places you know!!! ;)

Please please do!

Guest missvic
As GGG said The COT have no such power. However if it is the one I know about the people involved wanted the COT to "organise it and run it". As it was going to sell new lines which several shops in the town already offered and due to the "overheads" paid by charity shops it was felt by the COT that this was unfair and unrealistic competition and as such they couldn't support it. A long way short of "not allowing" it!

Once you see charity shops opening, and I am not dissing them they have their place and serve a valuable purpose, you know that the retail shops in the same area have problems. It means a "normal" retailer would not reopen a shop there for commercial reasons and it is these "commercail reasons" which any COT should be trying to change.

No... this shop was going to be set up using the social firms scheme and would have had not COT involvement. The rent was proposed to be paid in full too (unlike most charity shops, I believe). There would have been other lines, but nothing that would have been in competition with other businesses north of Newcastle. What was offered in the proposal was unique and well researched (I say that as I did some of it!) but involved in part some kind of charity shop element, which was ultimately what let the idea down.

The shop plans eventually went over to Morpeth who were much more keen for this kind of venture.

I must admit though when I wrote the original post I thought it was only a few years back, but on reflection it was more like a decade ago, and maybe it wasn't the COT who was unhappy with the proposal, but certainly it was some lot or other, I didn't really take too much notice... I think my age is starting to catch up with me now...

This is interesting. Turning a shop into flats would make the owner money? Some examples where this has happened maybe?

If this has happened then why would anyone have a problem with it? Why wouldn't it be for the general good?

I think that what we are getting at here is exactly what is wrong with our Town; but maybe not in the way that you think!

examples are feathers and fins, the butchers shop, city vending etc etc the problem is there are less shops for potential clients to move into. if the shops were smartened up people might want to run a business from there!

Guest missvic
examples are feathers and fins, the butchers shop, city vending etc etc the problem is there are less shops for potential clients to move into. if the shops were smartened up people might want to run a business from there!

and fewer shops means fewer shoppers... why would anyone bother going to Bedlington for a shopping trip when all the other towns around have a much more comprehensive selection of establishments to chose from :(

The health of any small town shopping street can be easily gauged by surveying who is using it. For example, if it is predominantly the elderly (often lacking their own transport, low income, etc.) then there is no commercial incentive for the retail trade to invest in those areas. Nationally, the 'out-of-town' retail parks and supermarkets have done for the local shops. Given a choice, many folks who are able to, will drive to these places, park for free, have everything under one roof, experience a litter-free day, enjoy the piped music, emerge to find that no Parking Ticket has been slapped onto their car and return home satisfied - what a souless experience! The death of the high streets can often be traced back to the actions of local politicians who, as a means of generating revenue, introduced parking restrictions - guess what? People stayed away, the shops lost income, shut down, etc. etc. Those small towns that do still have viable shopping streets are the ones that campained against the retail park infection in their area.

I remember Bedlington Front St in the 60's as being a vibrant (maybe that's too strong!) place to shop - there was somewhere to get just about anything you needed. Milne's department store for cataput rubber, records (who can remember the listening booths?) furniture and other household items - who needed Bainbridges in the Town! Fruit & Veg (Patton's?) next to the Top Club, butchers(was there one called Amers or something similar?), bakers, and so on. The point was that people had to shop locally - car ownership wasn't universal and it was a right shlep on the bus to Newcastle and back with loaded bags.

I'm afraid the day of the local high street is a thing of the past. Rents can be too high so that freeholders will often only be able to generate a return by developing their holdings into residential units - that's where the money is!

The world has moved on and a return to some perceived golden age of small town retail isn't going to happen.

The greater choice available in Newcastle, the convenience of large supermarkets and the advent of online shopping has curtailed the role of the local shopkeeper.

More pubs, more off licences and more scranneries will probably be the future of the front street.

The world has moved on and a return to some perceived golden age of small town retail isn't going to happen.

The greater choice available in Newcastle, the convenience of large supermarkets and the advent of online shopping has curtailed the role of the local shopkeeper.

More pubs, more off licences and more scranneries will probably be the future of the front street.

more off licences sounds like down and out american projects! with gun scares and hooded youthes patrolling the streets!

whats next crack cocain! crystal meth! :(

The health of any small town shopping street can be easily gauged by surveying who is using it. For example, if it is predominantly the elderly (often lacking their own transport, low income, etc.) then there is no commercial incentive for the retail trade to invest in those areas. Nationally, the 'out-of-town' retail parks and supermarkets have done for the local shops. Given a choice, many folks who are able to, will drive to these places, park for free, have everything under one roof, experience a litter-free day, enjoy the piped music, emerge to find that no Parking Ticket has been slapped onto their car and return home satisfied - what a souless experience! The death of the high streets can often be traced back to the actions of local politicians who, as a means of generating revenue, introduced parking restrictions - guess what? People stayed away, the shops lost income, shut down, etc. etc. Those small towns that do still have viable shopping streets are the ones that campained against the retail park infection in their area.

I remember Bedlington Front St in the 60's as being a vibrant (maybe that's too strong!) place to shop - there was somewhere to get just about anything you needed. Milne's department store for cataput rubber, records (who can remember the listening booths?) furniture and other household items - who needed Bainbridges in the Town! Fruit & Veg (Patton's?) next to the Top Club, butchers(was there one called Amers or something similar?), bakers, and so on. The point was that people had to shop locally - car ownership wasn't universal and it was a right shlep on the bus to Newcastle and back with loaded bags.

I'm afraid the day of the local high street is a thing of the past. Rents can be too high so that freeholders will often only be able to generate a return by developing their holdings into residential units - that's where the money is!

Your right Symptoms, Bedlington did have a vibrant front street in the sixties. Yes you could get anything from Jimmy Milne's store he even had a café in that shop

He was ahead of his time a man with vision, Bedlington could do with another one like him. people used to come from Blyth, Ashington, Morpeth and other places to shop at that store.

Your right Symptoms, Bedlington did have a vibrant front street in the sixties. Yes you could get anything from Jimmy Milne's store he even had a café in that shop

He was ahead of his time a man with vision, Bedlington could do with another one like him. people used to come from Blyth, Ashington, Morpeth and other places to shop at that store.

that must have been before the WDC came to power!!!