Red Row

Hello,

Perhaps an obvious/stupid question, but could anyone tell me what was "Red Row"? as if simply a colliery row in Bedlington Station, why is it built so far out from Bedlington Station... why did they chose that spot, to the North of Bedlington Station, east of Barrington and south of Stakeford and Bomarsund

On maps like the one attached,  it is written in bold as if it is a village... is it a village? I don't think it had a colliery.

James

Red Row..png

@7RlrF Hello James and welcome to the forum. On this site there is no such thing as a stupid question. You asked about Red Row and wondered if it was a village.

In 1866 Red Row was, literally, no more than a row of houses, presumably red and so named because they were, again presumably, made of red brick.

1866 OS map - Red Row.png

Sorry James! The complete text didn't survive my pasting technique. Here's the rest of it:

At that time there was no great need of any specific address as the postal service was still in its infancy. Bedlingtonshire abounds with such descriptive names: Wood Row, Stone Row, Brick Row, to name but a few. The advent of steam powered industry brought with it a huge demand for coal and both land- and mine owners in Bedlingtonshire weren't slow to realize that they were sitting on a fortune in untapped reserves of the black stuff. New pits were opened, new seams were opened in old pits and there was a great migration of people into the area giving rise to an urgent need for housing. The 1871 census records the "new houses built recently" - those that line the main Bedlington to Stakeford road.The name Red Row then became synonymous with all of these houses even though they now more resembled a village than a simple row of houses..

You say, quite rightly, that Red Row had no colliery. However, Red Row is no more than 1½ miles from Bedlington A pit, and Barrington Colliery had two pits within an even shorter walking distance of Red Row's houses: the Henry pit ½ mile to the south east and the Hannah pit 3/4 mile to the north. They later had a third, the Frances pit, adjacent to the Hannah pit which was closed then reopened to meet the demand for coal, so there was no shortage of work. The four original houses of Red Row were solely occupied in 1866 by coal miners and 95 % of the new houses in 1871 were also occupied by coal miners or other pit-workers. Given the type of occupant and Red Row's proximity to the Barrington Colliery pits I'd put a pound or two on those houses being built/owned by Barrington Colliery. However, that's just speculation on my part, but it would answer your question as to why the houses weren't built nearer to Bedlington station. Barrington Colliery would probably not have had any land rights south of the railway line as it was situated in the West Sleekburn township of Bedlingtonshire.

Hope this answers some of your questions.

@7RIrF & @Canny lass Red Row - we played there as kids as one of the pupis. Ronnie Phillips (opr Phillipson) lived in the Row when we were at Barrington County primary School - 1953 to 1960. I think all the families were moved out in the early 1960's  as I remember we used to play in the derelict houses = jumping out of the upstairs windows into the garden area. 

Think there is a photo of the row in one of the Evan Martin books on Bedlington/Barrington. The photo is from when you go over the bridge on Stakeford Row that now leads on to Red Row and part of the new housing estate that is built there is called Red Row Court.

Red Row Court.png

Edited by Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)

Thank you both, definitely clears it up!

I am right in saying Hannah pit became Bomarsund pit? why was that? Did Barrington Colliery continue to own Bomarsund pit after the name change?

I agree that Red Row was probably built by Barrington Colliery due to it proximity, but if so, why not just build it next to the main lot of Barrington Rows beside Henry pit?

James

Edited by 7RIrF

20 hours ago, 7RIrF said:

am right in saying Hannah pit became Bomarsund pit? why was that? Did Barrington Colliery continue to own Bomarsund pit after the name change?

The Hannah pit and Bomarsund pit were two quite separate entities. The Hannah, opened in 1854, was still being worked up until 1927 when it finally closed but the Bomarsund pit was opened prior to that in 1910 and had nothing to do with Barrington colliery. It was owned and worked by Bedlington Colliery. I think, but don't quote me, its official title was Bedlington F pit.

20 hours ago, 7RIrF said:

I agree that Red Row was probably built by Barrington Colliery due to it proximity, but if so, why not just build it next to the main lot of Barrington Rows beside Henry pit?

There's no way of knowing why Red Row was built where it was, but it may have had something to do with killing two birds with one stone - housing for both the Hannah and the Henry at relatively equal distance from the two.

12 hours ago, Canny lass said:

I haven't been ale to access dmm for well over a year. Any attempt just gives this message. Any idea what it means?

DMM förbidden.png

@Canny lass the DMM site is a site that is recognised by browsers or the Security Software you have on your device as 'Not Secure' and that's why you get the 403 error. 

My security software - Malwarebytes warns you that a site is not secure and gives you the option to 'contnue' or 'block access' to the site. As I said 'continue' for access to DMM my Secrity Software saved that response for the DMM site and I am nolonger asked the question when I access DMM.

There used to be 'padlock' logo at the start of a 'secure' site name but that appears to have changed to awhat looks like a couple of Keys but when you click on the Keys the infois displayed.

DMM site with 'Not Secure' at begining :-

NotSecure.thumb.png.4effb17d0d02735e28c402f2168b77e3.png

Amazon uk site with 'Keys' :-   

Amazon.thumb.png.a8585bdb855f19f6a569aa106767b132.png

• Confused 1

22 hours ago, Canny lass said:

The Hannah pit and Bomarsund pit were two quite separate entities. The Hannah, opened in 1854, was still being worked up until 1927 when it finally closed but the Bomarsund pit was opened prior to that in 1910 and had nothing to do with Barrington colliery. It was owned and worked by Bedlington Colliery. I think, but don't quote me, its official title was Bedlington F pit.

There's no way of knowing why Red Row was built where it was, but it may have had something to do with killing two birds with one stone - housing for both the Hannah and the Henry at relatively equal distance from the two.

They appear on the map to be the same thing with a different name... exact same spot, up the road from Red Row... it's the exact same Colliery, no?                                "Hannah Pit"

1866:

Screenshot(1387).thumb.png.77300168acdfb8bdfa93e7f166099855.png

1924:

Screenshot(1388).thumb.png.391acd4176a4846a257c68a9ddf45fa0.png

James

• Like 1

I agree that on that map they would appear to be the same thing. The three pits of Bomarsund were literally in each other's back yards. It's about 5-6 years since i researched my family connections to mining in Bomarsund so the memory is a bit vague but I've rummaged through my notes today and I think I can explain it to you better. My memory failed me when I said that Bomarsund pit was officially named Bedlington F pit. These were two separate pits only yards from each other. Here's a map showing the 3 pits. Right to left: Bedlington F pit, Bomarsund Colliery and the Hannah pit. Following the map is a list of the coordinates for these pits. I've marked Bedlington F and Bomarsund in red. The Hannah I've marked blue. If you compare the coordinates for Bedlington F and Bomarsund colliery you'll see that they are identical. So, it was Bedlington F which became Bomarsund colliery. The Hannah, judging by its coordinates, wasn't many yards away so it's easy to see why they would appear to be one and the same within the small confines of a map.

3 pits at Bomarsund.png

3 pits coordinates.png

Edited by Canny lass

@7RIrFIf you are interested in the Bomarsund pits you might like this. It's a page from the notes of the people who were responsible for names on the first series of OS maps round about the 1860s. This particular entry is for Barrington Colliery's Hannah pit. The handwriting's not too bad:

"A new colliery with all the necessary apparatus. Owing to some differences among the company the workings are dicontinued".

Hannah Pit, O S notes abt 1860.png

Edited by Canny lass
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

the DMM site is a site that is recognised by browsers or the Security Software you have on your device as 'Not Secure' and that's why you get the 403 error. 

My security software - Malwarebytes warns you that a site is not secure and gives you the option to 'contnue' or 'block access' to the site. As I said 'continue' for access to DMM my Secrity Software saved that response for the DMM site and I am nolonger asked the question when I access DMM.

There used to be 'padlock' logo at the start of a 'secure' site name but that appears to have changed to awhat looks like a couple of Keys but when you click on the Keys the infois displayed.

You might as well have written that in Chinese!! I'll have to get my OH to have a look at it. I tried to access dmm again today and got the same message. However, i did see that that there was a padlock with a red line through it at the beginning of the web adress.

• Like 1

On 31/01/2024 at 19:24, Canny lass said:

I'll have to get my OH to have a look at it.

@Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) Well, I got him to look at it and he 'clarted' all day with no luck. He wonders if it has anything to do with my having bought a new laptop and iphone exactly one year ago when something called F-secure was installed (Part of the package I bought). I thought I'd had the problem over a year but maybe I'm wrong.

Edited by Canny lass

1 hour ago, Canny lass said:

@Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) Well, I got him to look at it and he 'clarted' all day with no luck. He wonders if it has anything to do with my having bought a new laptop and iphone exactly one year ago when something called F-secure was installed (Part of the package I bought). I thought I'd had the problem over a year but maybe I'm wrong.

@Canny lass had a search on Google for 'F-secure' and it looks like there is a way to temporarilly turn off protection but not sure if I would want to go down that path:pc: - the older I get the more secure I need to be :thumbsup:.

https://community.f-secure.com/en/discussion/126862/turn-off-protection-option-is-now-hidden-in-f-secure-19-1

Think I would be looking for a device that has access to the www with security software that would give you the option to access 'Not secure' sThites of your choice:unsure:.

I have used the DMM site for five or more years and I see postings on many local Facebook groups from others who have used the site and I have never seen anyone whinge about the site. I have corresponded via email with the 'Webmaster' who looks after all the software and he told me the site was developed years ago using a now redundant software and he does not know of anyone else that uses this software so there will be no one available to do what he does when he moves on:(.

Info from http://www.dmm.org.uk/misc/f_purp.htm =

Friends of Durham Mining Museum 
http://www.dmm.org.uk/images/corner_1.gif http://www.dmm.org.uk/images/corner_2.gif

The Friends of Durham Mining Museum has been set up to found and maintain a mining museum to retain the knowledge and history of those that helped drive the industrial revolution and all that followed.

The museum will be focused on the mining history, heritage and culture of the Durham Coalfield in particular, as well as mining in general.

Within the museum building will be a display area, also a workshop and space for social/cultural gatherings and meetings.

The Friends wish to preserve, foster, and promote an interest in mining artefacts and the social and cultural life of the Mining Industry and Communities in general and of County Durham in particular.

To achieve this we will:

• Co-operate with those concerned with work in Art and Education within the community, both by participation and by exchange of ideas.
  • Present, promote, organise and produce such works, performances and exhibitions, in any medium that will help the objectives of the organisation.

Display Room at Spennymoor Town Hall

Opening Hours:

Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun
Open   10 a.m.   10 a.m.   —   10 a.m.   10 a.m.   10 a.m.   — 
Close   2 p.m.   2 p.m.   —   2 p.m.   2 p.m.   2 p.m.   — 

You can contact the museum by telephone during the above hours on 01388 810597.

The Durham Mining Museum
c/o Spennymoor Town Council,
Town Hall,
Spennymoor,
County Durham.
DL16 6DG

Email Contacts:

webmaster (at) dmm.org.uk — for website additions, corrections etc.

durhamminingmuseum (at) gmail.com — general contact address for the museum.

Closure Dates

The display rooms will be closed on the following dates :–

From   To   Notes
Museum reopens Mon., Jan 9th 2023

Sat., Dec 16th     Mon., Jan 8th    Winter closing

From   To   Notes
Museum reopens Mon., Jan 8th 2024

I'll keep thinking but can't see me coming up with anything that might help you 😭

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now