Andy Capp

stu

Its plate day today " The Pitmans Derby" the "Andy Capp Handicap". This was the day when the folk of the mining villages would have a good get together sink a few ales lose a few bob and have a bloody good family day out,maybe visit the hoppings before or even after the races,I remember going there with my mother when I was a young lad....aaaah the memories.

Anyway got to thinking, The Plate is still here,are there any traditions that have died out in the area,like picnic day on the front st.

Its plate day today " The Pitmans Derby" the "Andy Capp Handicap". This was the day when the folk of the mining villages would have a good get together sink a few ales lose a few bob and have a bloody good family day out,maybe visit the hoppings before or even after the races,I remember going there with my mother when I was a young lad....aaaah the memories.

Anyway got to thinking, The Plate is still here,are there any traditions that have died out in the area,like picnic day on the front st.

Aye...the Bedlington Sword Dance..http://www.eastsaxonsword.org.uk/notation/bedlington/preamble.htm

"The dance was normally done in a processional form down and up the main street of Bedlington; doing a few Nuts on the pavement outside each pub, and then dancing on to the next. They usually ended up at the top end of the village at the Red Lion where they danced inside the pub. They also danced at Ashington, Blyth and Morpeth, and in aid of the "Sally Army Soup Kitchen. "

I don`t know why,but when i was reading this,all i had visions of was CK with his legs all akimbo :lol:

Aye...the Bedlington Sword Dance..http://www.eastsaxonsword.org.uk/notation/bedlington/preamble.htm

"The dance was normally done in a processional form down and up the main street of Bedlington; doing a few Nuts on the pavement outside each pub, and then dancing on to the next. They usually ended up at the top end of the village at the Red Lion where they danced inside the pub. They also danced at Ashington, Blyth and Morpeth, and in aid of the "Sally Army Soup Kitchen. "

I don`t know why,but when i was reading this,all i had visions of was CK with his legs all akimbo :lol:

Who is Sally Army?

She used to come into the pub on a Friday night selling magazines, haven't seen her for a while could be to do with the smoking ban.

:D

Not much point in trying to sell their mag when they can't get through the doors for the smokers blocking them it'll be like trying to cross a picket line :lol: Now theres an idea!!!!!!! :rolleyes: