Hangover Cures

keith lockey

I went to the corner shop this morning and there was poor Sonny behind the counter, suffering from the delights of Bacchus. So we got on talking about hangover cures.

Someone told me that a packet of cheesy quavers and a can of coca cola works wonders - something to do with the mix!

Sonny says he swears by strawberries. (He forget to get them - thus the hangover.)

I was wondering if anybody else had any tried and tested cures.

Edited by keith lockey

Good old fashioned water, lots of it (preferably before you go to bed) and avoid pain killers like the plague! If you're needing this advice then your liver's already got enough poison to take care of without you adding pain killers.

Edited by Canny lass

This is not looking good! Am I the only one here who has ever had a hangover? Come on you guys, the festive season will soon be upon us and we could be saving many people from a day of untold misery. Get your hangover cures up here!!

I've still got a hangover that started in June 1969 as soon as I walked back up the Aisle, Its still there after 43 years and there does'nt seem to be a cure. :argue:

You're supposed to be tough Northerners here not weak-kneed, yellow-bellied Southerners weaned on Cockney knats. Get a grip, off with your tops, wobble the Toon tatted fat, air your carcasses in the chilly North winds and think positively of the next skinful. You know wise old owl Symptoms is right!

I learned at quite a young age while in the merchant Marine that hangovers would not be any excuse to miss work and at least a day up to a weeks pay would be forfeited if you did so my cure for hangovers was to know when I had enough and get to bed on time, even today at age 59 I cannot recall a day that I missed work because of drink, and I do like to drink

Oops, almost forgot.................

The real and best cure for a hangover is...

1. try to drink a glass of water for each drink you have, tough one I know.

2. drink the clearest booze you can, Vodka, Gin etc.

3. take a B6 vitamin before you start.

4. do not keep switching types of alchohol.

5. take a B6 when you are done.

6. have a glass of water, a glass of Orange juice and another B6 on your night stand for when you wake.

7. DO NOT take any pain killers, they will make it harder for your Liver to recover, have some more water.

8. if you can get more sleep, but do not miss work, even if you are a wreck it will teach you for next time.

So here you are folks, this will work so the first one to try it can report on its success, or failure....

Good Luck to the lot of you!!!

None of your new fangled thinking Micky..................

#8. Lemon in the Armpits:

Apparently some Puerto Ricans (and other citrusy fresh people) swear by this method. While I've read a few different opinions, the general belief is that you need to rub a slice of lemon in the armpit of your drinking arm before you start boozing. Out of lemons? Lime's fine. I'm not so sure about this one, but either way you'll be smelling fresh and fruity

#7. World's Greatest Drunks:

Now it's clearly between the Russians and Irish for being the biggest drunks, so I'll present a hangover cure from each.

The Russians claim all you have to do is drink the juice squeezed from a cucumber. I don't know how you go about this, but Vodka literally means water in Russian, so who are we to second-guess them?

The Irish cure? Well they're said "to bury the ailing person in moist river sand.” It's not exactly clear if they keep the head above ground, or if this is simply the easiest way to get rid of the weakest drinkers.

#6. Sicilian Sausage:

Now I'm pretty hesitant on this next one, but who am I to second guess the people who instituted organized crime? Apparently, Sicilians believe that all you have to do after a wild night of drinking is eat a dried bull's penis. Yep, that's it. Plain and simple.

#5. Jog 'n' Lick (AKA Keef's preferred option!):

Word on the street (according to BBC ) is that Native Americans would run around in the morning to get sweaty after a hard night on the village. Next step? Why the only logical thing: lick all that sweat up and spit it out, so you can get rid of all the 'poison' you'd just oozed out.

#4. Kickin' it old school:

Now we all learned in school how much the Ancient Greeks & Romans knew how to party, what with the bath houses, orgies, and epic festivals. Well, after a wild night of debauchery Ancient Greeks were all about a nice breakfast of sheep lungs and two owl eggs.

The morning after, Romans would chow down on deep-fried canaries, which we can only assume were sold in big, family-size buckets.

#3. Voodoo:

While most of these require mixing together ridiculous ingredients, this hangover remedy simply requires a complete lack of logic… or lots of magic (magic trumps logic every time). Haitian voodoo people are said to recommend sticking 13 black pins in the cork of the offending bottle. Try it out, let me know how it goes.

#2. Mongolian Mary:

The hangover cure for heavy drinkers in outer Mongolia is "a pair of pickled sheep's eyes in tomato juice.

#1. "2 Cowboys 1 Cup”:

What did those lonely cowboys of the Wild West concoct to cure hangovers? A fresh, hot cup of tea? Oh, that's nice, sounds like a pleasant little remedy. Wait, they put what in it? Rabbit droppings? Yes, the best part of waking up was rabbit crap in their cup.

#5. Jog 'n' Lick (AKA Keef's preferred option!):

Word on the street (according to BBC ) is that Native Americans would run around in the morning to get sweaty after a hard night on the village. Next step? Why the only logical thing: lick all that sweat up and spit it out, so you can get rid of all the 'poison' you'd just oozed out.

Just tried the above, lads. I ran naked around the block then licked the sweat off my body and spat it out. My case comes up next week. Does Tesco sell pickled sheep's eyes and tomato juice?

Edited by keith lockey

Oops, almost forgot.................

The real and best cure for a hangover is...

1. try to drink a glass of water for each drink you have, tough one I know.

2. drink the clearest booze you can, Vodka, Gin etc.

3. take a B6 vitamin before you start.

4. do not keep switching types of alchohol.

5. take a B6 when you are done.

6. have a glass of water, a glass of Orange juice and another B6 on your night stand for when you wake.

7. DO NOT take any pain killers, they will make it harder for your Liver to recover, have some more water.

8. if you can get more sleep, but do not miss work, even if you are a wreck it will teach you for next time.

So here you are folks, this will work so the first one to try it can report on its success, or failure....

Good Luck to the lot of you!!!

What did I tell you - lots of water and no pain killers!! Thanks Micky.

Someone once told me that a raw egg swallowed whole (without the shell) would do the trick, if you could get it past your lips. Must be the British version of the Mongolian Mary.

A simple rule from a mate of mine (Bazza)

Beer before wine makes a fellow feel fine

Wine before beer makes a fellow feel queer.

There endeth the lesson children.

Now Brian, when your mate says "makes a fellow feel queer..." does he mean "Yoohoo, ducky, would you mind pushing my stool in." or does he mean queer peculiar, odd, sickly? My next visit to the old barkeep depends on this translation.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now