Bush Identification

Whats the difference between a bush and a shrub, maybe you should call it a shrub before someone gets into trouble. Yes Keith i was serious about a cutting, im off during the school holidays, so maybe i could get a cutting then, and at the same time show you the photographs i have, im a computer idiot, so maybe you could download them, ( I think thats the term) for me, if thats ok, or point me in the direction on how too. Please dont chop your bush(sorry shrub) down till i get my cutting.

Whats the difference between a bush and a shrub, maybe you should call it a shrub before someone gets into trouble. Yes Keith i was serious about a cutting, im off during the school holidays, so maybe i could get a cutting then, and at the same time show you the photographs i have, im a computer idiot, so maybe you could download them, ( I think thats the term) for me, if thats ok, or point me in the direction on how too. Please dont chop your bush(sorry shrub) down till i get my cutting.

No problem, Eileen, I'll PM you with my address and phone number, just give me a call. The bushes / shrubs will still be here, bring a machete and bee-proof hat, because the place is swarming with them - all you can hear is buzzing.

Could be a dodgy shrub to propagate. The RHS site for propagation of 'soft-wood/semi-ripe' from shrubs gives instructions on semi ripe cuttings.

By pure accident I found a berberis dawinii (similar type of shrub) had 'layered' it self. So without adding any rooting powders etc., just the soil staying moist I had nuerous new shrubs.

The BBC web site gives a good description on layering:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/basics/techniques/propagation_layering1.shtml

About layering

Layering is a simple form of propagation which consists of bending a low branch or shoot down to soil level, wounding the shoot and then covering this portion with soil to encourage it to root. It can then be severed from its parent to produce a new plant.What to do How to layer

· Select a non-flowering shoot that's strong and healthy. It should be low-growing so it can touch the soil surface without breaking.

· If necessary, trim off several of the leaves to give a clear length of stem along the section that is to be placed in contact with the soil.

Yours Sincerley

George W.

Hi George, so do you think taking a cutting wont work, i know i took cuttings of a hydranger last year and theve taken great, I thought rooting powder would do the trick. Glad of your advice, i love gardening but i dont know a lot about taking cuttings.

A couple of years back I went to Northern Ireland with two mates to watch the North West 200 motorbike racing, and because the wives had let us out on five days parole, we decided to take them a little pressy home. The Bushmills Museum and Distillery was nearby so we decided to get each of them a bottle of Malt. Now my mate who likes to think he knows everything, tells us that all the Bushmill Malts have the word Bush in their name but he couldn't find the one he wanted, so he went to the checkout girl and asked if she had a Black Bush. For some reason he was asked to leave, and we're still trying to figure out why, maybe if I get Keith Lockey on the phone we can work it out together. :) :)

Was she an aeroplane blonde, by any chance?

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now