Books

Dave

They do some excellent work in Africa on family planning & personal healthcare ;)

Sorry vicar. Free condoms and toothpaste ? :rolleyes:

I imagine that when the leaders of the world's major religions read your cogent, well thought-out views they will all shake their heads sagely, realise that they have been wasting their entire lives, and walk out into the world feeling naked but strangely alive for the first time.

What a great idea, a move towards real freedom :D

Oh, and to go back to topic, I'm reading Lord of the Rings which is lovely (except for the bad guys) and Brave New World which up to this point seems quite depressing.

I first read Brave New World over fifty years ago, and I too found it very depressing. Perhaps I was foolish in thinking that time would mellow the message. The only thing worse, was Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged"

To quote the NY Times reviewer at the time, "And so did I"

Oh well, there's got to be something to read!

Joe

Hee hee. That tickles me Cry W-----!

I recently read Danny wallace's 'Join Me' it's great! As is his book 'Yes Man.' I highly recommend them both.

The diminutive ex-Southampton and Manchester United winger? I didn't know he was a scribe.

• 1 month later...

Variety is the key I think. I agree with some posting here that a decent biography/autobiography can make a good read, the most inspiring I ever read was Long Walk to Freedom by Nelson Mandela. Books like Michael Moore's Stupid Whitemen, and Confessions of an Economic Hit Man by John Perkins nourish the hungry mind but must be consumed as part of a balanced intake ('left' & 'right') if that mind is to develop well. I also like to read crime/political/law fiction - Tom Clancy's stuff for example (shallow, I know). I do think that some modern fiction can a 'hard going' - I hated Man & Boy by Tony Parsons, and as for Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks, it was an 'easy-to-put-down' book.

Variety is the key I think. I agree with some posting here that a decent biography/autobiography can make a good read, the most inspiring I ever read was Long Walk to Freedom by Nelson Mandela. Books like Michael Moore's Stupid Whitemen, and Confessions of an Economic Hit Man by John Perkins nourish the hungry mind but must be consumed as part of a balanced intake ('left' & 'right') if that mind is to develop well. I also like to read crime/political/law fiction - Tom Clancy's stuff for example (shallow, I know). I do think that some modern fiction can a 'hard going' - I hated Man & Boy by Tony Parsons, and as for Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks, it was an 'easy-to-put-down' book.

tom clancy's rainbow six vegas "fantastic"!