Photo Help

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could be Christopher, pity we can't get Google street view to line up at exactly the same angle as the old photo - you have me 75% convinced!.

post-3031-0-31998400-1421787757_thumb.jp

On yet another review I have to agree! :)  BUT:

• A large upstairs side-window has been added to the house behind Foxy's 'O'.
  • The picture has severe perspective distortion making the houses at the rear look far far nearer than they actually are. This could only be done by it being taken with (what would then be) a telephoto lens from the edge of the central grass parallel with the front door or even south side wall of No. 17.
  • A lot of tree/bush growth on the corner now obscures other vital details.
  • The metal window replacement mentioned earlier was already assumed.

Anyone aiming to reproduce the shot for us will need to have a reasonable zoom (probs not a phone), and manoeuvre carefully at the said spot using a copy of the photo.  Because of the distance the precise height from the ground won't be terribly critical, but the horizontal angle will be very critical.  In fact it should be possible to pinpoint the exact place the camera was E/W within inches. Should be interesting!  :)  Minor details in the brickwork also give "DNA standard confirmation" to these conclusions.

Eggy, that photo is taken at the other end of the green, showing the entrance to the cul-de-sac. The houses in the cul-de-sac are parallel to each other. Maybe I was a bit misleading when I mentioned parallel.previously. Christopher's Picture is spot on. These houses face the green and behind them. facing the main Bedlington/Netherton road road is Another row of houses. They aren't really parallel except for the first two which are back to back with adjoining gardens. I used to play in that garden as a Child.

Edited by Canny lass

Nobody notice the obvious?

Ewart Hill old opencast site in the background!,....it's not a pit heap or natural landscape.......in a part of Bedlington where all the land slopes away down the hill......this one is quite high!

post-2-0-20405900-1421797223_thumb.gif

The camera distance makes the houses at the top seem far far closer, and the ones at the bottom appear almost in a straight row.

This is the posh end of Westlea,opposite the Cussins estate turn -in to the right..Threegee.

Top of the picture is opposite Red House Farm estate,you can see the wide path running at an angle to the road.The old bungalows are to the right,out of sight. 

Foxy's pic is further south-easterly,t'other side of Red House Farm estate.......no?[at least over in that direction...sort of....!]

Edited by HIGH PIT WILMA

Good Picture threegee. Redhouse farm estate is to the left and the old miner's cottages are on the other side of the then main road opposite Redhouse farm estate. If you stand in the middle of the green looking out towards the estate entrance (disappearing top right in your Picture), these tree semi's, numbers 80-85, do look as though they are in a straight row.

Edited by Canny lass

Well done Eggy1948.

Excellent use of the photos.

I did not even have to stand on a lamp post

In 1951 a photographer came around Westlea taking pictures.

How do I know , well my mother bought the photo of me because she did not want it seen or published.

A prize possession and very much the orphan look with a broken arm.

That is how I know the year.

I wonder if that is the year this photo was taken.

It certainly could be Willy Hall.  In the early 60s I was in Willy's First Bedlington Scouts based on Ridge Terrace (opposite the West End Primary School) ... in the past I've posted elsewhere on the Forum about this.  If this photo is from the mid-50s (I think it is) then it would fit as it shows Willy a bit younger than I remember him in the 60s.  He lived in a big house on Hartford Road opposite the entrance into South Riggs ... according to Google Street View it no longer exists ... I remember it had a big underground air raid shelter in the garden.  The Scout HQ was a purpose-built building, complete with offices, shop, hall/gym (wall bars, ropes, vaulting horse, etc. plus a stage for shows) a rear yard with workshops - all sadly demolished according to Street View.  Of course, the troupe also had Humford Hollow for outward bound and camping activities.

I recall Mr Hall and his house. (the site is the 'new' house that is there which was built by a builder who also had the club buildings at Red Row). Mr Hall had a harmonium in the loft. I believe he was responsible for redesigning the market place at some time. He had a huge Pyrenean mountain dog.  When his wife died he caused a bit of a stir as he wanted to have her buried in the garden - in the air raid shelter as a mausoleum!!!! He was educated at Morpeth as far as I recall. A bit further up the bank past the masonic lodge was a house owned by Joicey - he was an engineer and designed and sold the 'Joystripper' which was a clever bit of kit for stripping the copper sheath from fireproof cabling. He moved up to Widdrington and turned the pit head buildings into a workshop and house. his son, Phil, lives down south now and is a solicitor. 

He lived in a big house on Hartford Road opposite the entrance into South Riggs ... according to Google Street View it no longer exists ... I remember it had a big underground air raid sdesirablehelter in the garden. 

It's still there Symp  my cousin bought it, spent a fortune on it, and made it desirable, she still lives in it!!! 

It seems the photo may have something to do with BUDC post war slum clearance scheme.

Parker -Morris Housing that took place

Stead Lane , Hartlands, Guide -Post and Westlea.

The chap on the right may be David Cowans Dad and the bespectacled man next to him Archie Seaton.

The house with the side window has had one all along threegee that is the style.

The angle of the photo misses some houses and hits the house next to the gap site.

The last house before the road and next to the telephone box.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now