The Lion Garage

Everybody in Bedlington knows the Lion Garage and the owners im sure, Ive had acouple of problems lately, the first was putting air in my tyre( im sorry but im one of those woman who dont know the front end of a car from the back) anyway the son came over and helped me, he was lovely proper gentleman. Then earlier this week on leaving home discovered i had no water in my windscreen washers, i could hardly see as my windscreen was covered i tree sap,having parked under a tree all weekend. No problem, i needed petrol il get water from the garage, filled up with petrol, asked the girl behind the counter for water, would have paid for it if id had too as i work 5 mile north of morpeth. She looked at me as if i was stupid " we dont do water" she said, but most garages do i said, " well we dont only garages with an outside tap do water, we dont have one". Then i spotted my knight in shining armour, excuse me i said why dont you have water, to which he replied "of course we do" the watering can was in the doorway, and the tap just outside, he fiiled the watering can for me, lovely man, he couldnt understand what she,d said as she uses the tap everyday? He said he would have a word with her, i put the can back and informed her id left water in for the next customer, to which i got a stroppy reply, so i thanked her for being so unhelpful, more attitude so i told her she had an attitude problem, her reply whatever, whatever, whatever,. I will go back, but will check to see if she is working, and thank you to the lovely man who is always so helpful, just a shame about 1 member of staff.

I dont know his name but he's tall and nearly always wears a cap, he's a really nice guy, iv been having a bit of a winge about the girl behind the counter, but iv found everyone says how helpful he is. Iv been to the Indian restaurant at stannington tonight and had a lovely meal. I was telling my friend the story, and she started telling me about how the nice man had helped her, we should set up the nice man at the lion garage fan club.

I dont know his name but he's tall and nearly always wears a cap, he's a really nice guy, iv been having a bit of a winge about the girl behind the counter, but iv found everyone says how helpful he is. Iv been to the Indian restaurant at stannington tonight and had a lovely meal. I was telling my friend the story, and she started telling me about how the nice man had helped her, we should set up the nice man at the lion garage fan club.

You could get some T-shirts !

post-3031-0-56007200-1373713074_thumb.pn

But seriously, it is good to find someone happy at their work. Wouldn't start a crusade though, never know where it could lead you!

Edited by Malcolm Robinson

I've just taken a stroll down Front Street on Google Streetview to check-up the Lion Garage. In an earlier (1968) incarnation of the place (but was it called Lion back then and wasn't it BP??) my Dad bought me my first car - a Ford Popular 100E, it cost him £35; it was a sort of very light sage greeny-yellow in colour. That didn't last very long as I re-painted it matt-black all over and with a single 12" blue stripe from front bumper, over the roof and down the boot to the back bumper. My Dad taught me to drive in this car - it had a three-speed gearbox. The first lesson he took me along Hartford Road and back with subsequent sessions up at the Acklington Camp.

I also had a pal who lived in one of the old cottages which were at the back of the forecourt.

Edited by Symptoms

Foxy, what's the building to the left?

Mercury - Let's try my memory as I think I can remember this one. I used to go there on a Sunday, because I fancied a lass there. I would say it's The Church of Christ.

I would have to give some deep thought to names of the congregation, in the 50s & 60s. I believe the house to the left of the church was church property. I know one couple that lived there were the grandparents of the lass I was after and they had a lot to do with that church.

Yep it was a Church.

Is the house to the left Garth House?

Always brought to mind,

post-23-0-58286800-1373804811_thumb.jpg

Sounds familiar but could not swear to it, been Garth House - there are some cottages behind that building called Garth cottages so one could assume keeping the old name alive, but Google street view does not go far enough into the estate to see how modern/old they are.

...I would say it's The Church of Christ.

I would have to give some deep thought to names of the congregation, in the 50s & 60s. I believe the house to the left of the church was church property. I know one couple that lived there were the grandparents of the lass I was after and they had a lot to do with that church.

= The Baptists.

Ah, the truth always comes out in the end - but only on the Internet! ;) Is there a Marley in amongst your names?

= The Baptists.

Ah, the truth always comes out in the end - but only on the Internet! ;) Is there a Marley in amongst your names?

Marley definitely; Henderson definitely, Straker probably. It's where Bedlington Cricket Club confessed their no balls!

threegee - I now have Marley bouncing around in my head as the elderly couple, grandparents of a Henderson, that lived in that (Garth) House.

Edited by Eggy1948

Steps back in time to a thriving town.

Churches, garages, shops all doing well.

The irony of using the Internet for communication, for shopping etc, but looking fondly at the past when things were different.

It is often the simple things that matter.

A friend is dying of cancer and we were remembering all the times that people have been kind and thoughtful.

Strangely the people who are not we simply edit out of our lives.

..grandparents of a Henderson..

We aren't talking about Mr Henderson the dentist who bought the "Patton" house further up? They lived above the present Post Office before moving over the road and up a bit. Daughter is Patricia - and a very nice lady she is; I remember her mum, a very smart lady.

Straker is a very old Bedlington name. I have some sort of recollection that some Strakers may have lived in the Baptist Yard before it was demolished (early 1960's or maybe late 1950's?), That's was around about the location of the present telephone exchange. Or maybe it was Foggan's Yard - entrance where Lloyds TSB is - or even both?

... Strangely the people who are not we simply edit out of our lives.

I think they edit themselves out these days. Especially true when it's so easy these days to find "long losts", even on the other side of the globe. Only the truly geriatric have any excuse, and the real dodderers seem to get be getting ever older.

Straker is a very old Bedlington name. I have some sort of recollection that some Strakers may have lived in the Baptist Yard before it was demolished (early 1960's or maybe late 1950's?), That's was around about the location of the present telephone exchange. Or maybe it was Foggan's Yard - entrance where Lloyds TSB is - or even both?

Well, only Methuselah or threegee would remember these. :)

Does anyone know what the event could be?

Edited by foxy

We aren't talking about Mr Henderson the dentist who bought the "Patton" house further up? They lived above the present Post Office before moving over the road and up a bit. Daughter is Patricia - and a very nice lady she is; I remember her mum, a very smart lady.

I think they edit themselves out these days. Especially true when it's so easy these days to find "long losts", even on the other side of the globe. Only the truly geriatric have any excuse, and the real dodderers seem to get be getting ever older.

Oh dear, my mind was drifting. I meant Hemstead not Henderson. Sorry

GGG - yep, the Patton's house was a bit further up as you say. The Patton's had a fruit and veg shop opposite. They had a son and daughter; Jeremy, the son was a friend of mine and the daughter was a little older and was very, very attractive (but I can't remember her name). She might have gone to the Royal Grammar in the Toon. Obviously, I lost contact with Jeremy when my folks moved from Bedders ... I wonder where he is now?

Foggan's Yard was derelict but still in decent condition in the mid 60s ... we had a 'camp' in the loft spaces and it was via the yard that we gained access to Jimmy Millne's orchard; I vividly recall masses and masses of rose bay willow herb growing in the yard. Dowsen's Buildings, at the top of Hartford Road (next to the old Sally Army buildings) was another similar 'derelict' yard to Foggan's; we had a camp here as well, this time in the cellar area. I remember, the last of the residents just up and left (maybe they croked?) and after the house was cleared and barred shut there was a ton of stuff left. We helped ourselves to WW2 gas masks, old ration books, tin helmets, a stirrup pump (later turned into a banger-gun). Maybe the old guy had been a warden during that last bun-fight with Fritz?

Well, only Methuselah or threegee would remember these. :)

Does anyone know what the event could be?

Both those photos are amazing foxy. The second one shows the place I only ever knew as Allsop's the Barber as Foggan's shop. One of those really obvious things that never register when you are too close to the action! :)

My fashion expert says the crowd scene is turn of century. Lots and lots of possibilities there, as we were big on community in those days. A coronation perhaps? Let's take a totally wild guess at Saturday, 9 August 1902. ;)

A Foggan Gravestone about to be levelled I guess.

We so easily forget the import of infant mortality in those days. Large families to provide assurance, and spread the grief around! :(

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now