Sunday Memories

keith lockey

How many people remember their Sundays? Here's a basic rundown of our house in the 1960s.

Bread and dripping for breakfast.

Listen to the Clitheroe Kid on the wireless.

Jam tarts and chocolate cake freshly baked by my mam and gran.

Sing Something Simple on the Wireless.

Black and White Minstrels on the telly.

Roger Moore in The Saint. (Black and white then in colour)

Beans and fried tetties for our supper.

A bath with Mister Matey bubbles then off to bed.

(In the winter going to bed comprised of a pair of socks, hot water bottle and ten blankets on top of you. If you didn't freeze to death overnight you went to school on Monday morning.

Edited by keith lockey

A bacon sandwich sometime too early, basically so I would be ready to go to church.

A roast dinner when I was not hungry, possibly after the bread and dripping.

Sunday School at the Tin Mission.

Card Games of 'Stop the Bus' etc for match sticks.

The game involved collecting the same suit of cards up to and above 23.

I wonder if any one else knows the game!

Drafts, monopoly, I still have the original with tank motorbike, car, and ship.

The grandchildren still play with the original.

Odd rules have changed but as it is 'My gaf it is my rules'

The Wireless. If we were lucky, in the winter, and me dad had worked overtime and managed to buy some extra coal from the mining neighbourhood (Temple's or Cavaghan's) then the 'front-room' fire was lit and the radiogram with built in record player was switched on.

The Navy Lark & Round the Horne (both can still be heard now on iPlayer 4Extra) - The Goons - 

Peter Brough Educating Archie - was he the only ventriloquist on the wireless?

Now I'm struggling with the actual name - British Forces Broadcasting was it the World (wide) Service?

The Clitheroe Kid. Listen here Pop Pickers, the chart show with Pete ____ ? Radio Luxembourg.

Board game - draughts (checkers), Monopoly or Taxi.

Flat Yorkshire Pudding baked in one large tin where the sides rose up the tin to form a nice crunchie bit whilst the bottom of the tin was spongey.

Rice (milk) pudding. I hated the skin that formed on the top.

The Sunday Post - Oor Wullie, The Broons and a page of jokes.

Save electricity me dad would play the accordion or the organ powered by the two large foot pedals. Various stoppers on it to change the tone.

The Wireless. If we were lucky, in the winter, and me dad had worked overtime and managed to buy some extra coal from the mining neighbourhood (Temple's or Cavaghan's) then the 'front-room' fire was lit and the radiogram with built in record player was switched on.

The Navy Lark & Round the Horne (both can still be heard now on iPlayer 4Extra) - The Goons - 

Peter Brough Educating Archie - was he the only ventriloquist on the wireless?

Now I'm struggling with the actual name - British Forces Broadcasting was it the World (wide) Service?

The Clitheroe Kid. Listen here Pop Pickers, the chart show with Pete ____ ? Radio Luxembourg.

Board game - draughts (checkers), Monopoly or Taxi.

Flat Yorkshire Pudding baked in one large tin where the sides rose up the tin to form a nice crunchie bit whilst the bottom of the tin was spongey.

Rice (milk) pudding. I hated the skin that formed on the top.

The Sunday Post - Oor Wullie, The Broons and a page of jokes.

Save electricity me dad would play the accordion or the organ powered by the two large foot pedals. Various stoppers on it to change the tone.

British Forces Broadcasting was it the World (wide) Service "Two Way Family Favourite's" Played requests from servicemen overseas, we had a couple.

Pete Murray on radio Luxemburg. Dan Dare "Journey into Space" with the Mighty Meccon!

British Forces Broadcasting was it the World (wide) Service "Two Way Family Favourite's" Played requests from servicemen overseas, we had a couple.

Pete Murray on radio Luxemburg. Dan Dare "Journey into Space" with the Mighty Meccon!

Thank you Vic - been nagging the wife up trying to remember  Two Way Family Favourites. 

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now