Taakin Proper Like.

Only 7/10 for me! I'll have to get home more often!

A question: Did you all get the Word "kets". I've never Heard this in the plural form. I've only ever Heard "ket" and then not only with the meaning sweets. My parents used the Word "ket" to describe anything that was rubbish. That could be anything from sweets to furniture to TV programmes.  

Only 7/10 for me! I'll have to get home more often!

A question: Did you all get the Word "kets". I've never Heard this in the plural form. I've only ever Heard "ket" and then not only with the meaning sweets. My parents used the Word "ket" to describe anything that was rubbish. That could be anything from sweets to furniture to TV programmes.  

Same here - only the singular 'ket' and it was used to refer to any product that was thought to be sub-standard.

I first heard "Ket†when living in Bedlington, referring to something being not nice, usually cheap. I thought Kecks were a more modern slang for pants or trousers!

Lots of words appear to be very localised depending on the industry, Morpeth farming, Bedlington/ Ashington mining, Blyth port shipbuilding. A few years ago you could easily spot were a person was from by the words and accents they used.

Because of travel and communications people are not isolated as they were and like a mixing pot becoming more "standard†or similar, regionally and nationally! In the "old†days there wasn't much need to understand the chep in the next village never mind a different region!

I Think you are confusing dialect with county, Adam. You are a Northumbrian but so is a Geordie. You both come from Northumberland. Nowadays you both speak Geordie. There are very few, if any,  who speak Northumbrian. It's an archaic dialect.

Edited by Canny lass

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now