Piper Award - 2023

My thoughts for this year are as this group has been very quite and very few questions asked from members that have resulted in anyone having to dig deep to help out is that the Piper Award should go to 'The Friends of Westlea Cemetery'.

They are a group of volunteers that have organised and helped in the restoring of the delapidated buildings, grounds and appearance of the cemetery. 

@Malcolm Robinson has been involved with them and I am sure he knows a lot about them.

For Facebook (FB) members this is a direct link to their Facebook page :-

https://www.facebook.com/Thefriendsofwestleacemetery

An article published by the Northunberland Gazette :- https://www.northumberlandgazette.co.uk/news/westlea-cemetery-in-bedlington-to-get-queen-elizabeth-ii-memorial-and-remembrance-garden-refurbishment-4339703

This is their FB cover page :-

FOWCFacebookcoverpage.thumb.png.c29a192ad1998924fb4822021701eff5.png

Some images of the volunteers and some of the items they work on :-

FOWCphotos.thumb.jpg.6b7499116338fe7eb5906cb6a4ea6d1d.jpg

• Like 1

Excellent suggestion Eggy.............In effect just two lasses spending all their free time helping to make the cemetery somewhere everyone can be proud of.  

They are currently making Xmas wreaths and all money raised is spent in the cemetery.  

BTW, Look out for a huge revamp at the Garden of Remembrance and the path behind!  

• Like 2

A great suggestion Alan, I was truly impressed with the cemetery last year, a lot of work must have gone into it. I have had relatives visit it this year who were very impressed.

Because I don't have anyone living locally has anyone thought of marking the lanes and rows, giving a 1 by A grid to assist giving directions. (I did this for my relatives)

4 minutes ago, Vic Patterson said:

A great suggestion Alan, I was truly impressed with the cemetery last year, a lot of work must have gone into it. I have had relatives visit it this year who were very impressed.

Because I don't have anyone living locally has anyone thought of marking the lanes and rows, giving a 1 by A grid to assist giving directions. (I did this for my relatives)

Don't know Vic - @Malcolm Robinson might know.

ps. I forgot to mention that @John Fox (foxy) has also helped in the restoration :-

Foxy and Malcolm.jpg

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Vic Patterson said:

I think there is a guide Vic but the cemetery managers have it.  Don’t see why it can’t be put on the building? 
I have just advised some people looking for their family plot to get in touch with them so it would be handy. 
There are other upgrades coming soon and an expansion. 

47 minutes ago, Mal said:

I think there is a guide Vic but the cemetery managers have it.  Don’t see why it can’t be put on the building? 
I have just advised some people looking for their family plot to get in touch with them so it would be handy. 
There are other upgrades coming soon and an expansion. 

Posted somewhere would be great because of scheduling especially weekends and holidays.

Thank you Mal. 

On 03/12/2023 at 22:06, Mal said:

Why not put it on the internet as do the war cemeteries abroad, after all we do have war graves in West Lea. These cemetery plans are a great help to researchers.

On 06/12/2023 at 12:59, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

Malcolm and myself will have to declare an interest, we're members of that group.😄

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, John Fox (foxy) said:

Malcolm and myself will have to declare an interest, we're members of that group.😄

Interest declared and just as previous years any member of this group can vote for anyone, or group, nominated:thumbsup:

I have made the 2023 award and as long as all are happy with this years award going to The friends of Westlea Cemetery (TFOWC) I will post the following text and images on TFOWC Facebook page.

To the volunteers at The Friends Of Westlea Cemetery.

In 2020 on the Bedlington community group (bedlington.uk) it was suggested that a yearly award (purely online) be award to anyone that had helped the group or anything to do with Bedlington.

It was decided to name it The Piper Award after Ainsley Piper who bred the Bedlington terrier in 1825 in St Cuthbert’s Vicarage.

This December the members of the group have voted for the online award to go to your volunteer organisation that has helped so many people in Bedlington, and beyond.

So the members of bedlingto.uk would like to say thank you to the work your volunteers have done.

TFOWC award 2023.jpg

Piper award 2023 FOWC.jpg

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Mal said:

Eggy,

Can you do them a certificate?  

I think they might want to hang it up in their base.  

I would have to have a bit clart about and see if I could come up with anything - don't hold your breath but if I manage to create one I will post it on here first for the members to agree to.

I will still post the text and images above onto their FB page and if anything comes of me clarting I will see what we can do.:)

@Andy Millne @John Fox (foxy) @Malcolm Robinson @Vic Patterson @HIGH PIT WILMA @Bedlingtonian @Pete @Jammy @Maggie/915 @_pauls @James @Symptoms @Mal @Tonyp @Beano @7RIrF @carly @Bill Straughan @oldtimer @Dave Twist @6233jane @threegee @Darren Smith @jfk @B Davison @DJA 24 @anniemarr @Katherine Hyde @Jr6468 @Sheila Prouten @Joe McNally @Patricia Wadsworth @SouthernGeordie @rosco @Linray @lynnewatson @sallywoo1971

I have posted the message and the images onto the Facebook page of https://www.facebook.com/Thefriendsofwestleacemetery

18 hours ago, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

I have made the 2023 award and as long as all are happy with this years award going to The friends of Westlea Cemetery (TFOWC) I will post the following text and images on TFOWC Facebook page.

To the volunteers at The Friends Of Westlea Cemetery.

In 2020 on the Bedlington community group (bedlington.uk) it was suggested that a yearly award (purely online) be award to anyone that had helped the group or anything to do with Bedlington.

It was decided to name it The Piper Award after Ainsley Piper who bred the Bedlington terrier in 1825 in St Cuthbert’s Vicarage.

This December the members of the group have voted for the online award to go to your volunteer organisation that has helped so many people in Bedlington, and beyond.

So the members of bedlingto.uk would like to say thank you to the work your volunteers have done.

TFOWC award 2023.jpg

Piper award 2023 FOWC.jpg

@Mal had a think, and clart, on what you proposed re certificate and anything is possible but naturally on something that is normally a pure online award there will be some issues to overcome.

These are the tnings I am thinking about :-   

design and produce a certificate using my Winows Vista + Microsoft Digital Image pro 10 (as that is the only software I have:)

print off the certificate - and as I am no professional that would be to an A4 sheet of paper. What dimensions would the certificate be = what are the standard picture frame sizes, between A5 & A4, that TFOWBC could by to fit certificate into:unsure:

Posting a certificate to TFOWC - looking at their FB page they don't have an address for where to post anything to and if they did it would have to have a letter box wide enough to accept an A4 sheet,8.27 x 11.69 inches or 21 x 29.7 centermeters, wth cardboard support to stop it getting bent/damaged in the post. 

------------------------------------------------------

I will let you know if I come up with anything:)

• Like 3

I see there are several print shops nearby, might I suggest requesting a quote for a certificate explaining it's purpose, possibly getting break promoting their service on the certificate.

For the work TFOWC did I would contribute towards the cost.

• Thanks 1

Had a bit play and I have come up with this template for this year and future years

Piperawardcertificate.thumb.jpg.ccf87536a27009a39fb90243177d0f53.jpg

And for 2023 I added the info + our group logo

Still need to look at the dimensions of the certificate to match the dimesions of popular frame sizes.

Piper award certificate 2023.jpg

• Like 3

After I posted the two images - 2023 Piper Award 'ceremony' & Piper Trophy - on The Friends Of Westlea Cemetery Facebook page one of the volunteers has responded on their FB page with this :-

TFOWCresponse.thumb.png.184ae6a1d92635014e203c181acb5241.png

Waiting to see what @Mal has done with the certificate image he downloaded.

• Like 2

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now